My first ever iMac Mod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dan8302, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Dan8302 macrumors member

Feb 28, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I thought I would share this with you guys...
    I just finished it a little while ago, I put some lights in it Alien grill covers. I know some of you might think that it is a crime to do this to an iMac, but I think it looks cool.
    You can check out more pics Here
    Let me know what you think
  2. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003

I would be afraid to take apart my mac :eek:, I'm sure others would agree with me here.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    yes, i think it looks like crap, BUT congratulations on successfully cutting the hole and not messing up really bad and/or ruining the entire case. every modder has to start somewhere. good luck with your future mods.
  4. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    Pretty nice. Good idea to be able to switch them off. It'll make it much better for using in lighted rooms, as lighting effects are better in low light.
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    thats neat, I like those Aurora's with alien ice. :) Nice Mod I want to get our old 333 imac and turn it into a aquarium but my wife wants her sister to use it. Anyways nice mod.
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it looks cool in the dark....and it helps make your iMac that much more unique
  7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    It is easy to upgrade the Hard Drive

Yea, it is sort of geeky to take apart a iMac. But the rewards are nice. I upgraded my tiny 20 GB drive to a 80 GB drive and maxed out the ram. This allowed me to squeeze an extra 3 years of life on that machine. Later, I took out the 80 GB drive to use as an external firewire drive and put in an old 6 GB drive from a dead Windows PC. It makes a nice little web browsing machine with no fans or anything.

These machines are really easy to take apart and upgrade unlike the eMac. I don't think I'll ever sell or give it away. It is probably my favorite Mac and also my first.
  8. STITCHES macrumors member

Jan 13, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Nice work. I'm doing a Skeleton mod to my iBook. So far I'v done the back of the screen and bottom. I need to get the palmrest made at a shop. Put in an 80 GB HDD, maxed out the ram. I wanna get a superdrive put in it. Also im trying to find a place to put my Bluetooth adapter so I don't have to plug it in and unplug it everytime I want to use it.
  9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Nice work on the mod. Now you just need to clean up that desk/room so it doesn't deter from the cool iMac.
  10. Dan8302 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 28, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Wow I didn't know that my mom used this site :p