My First EVER Kernal Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CubaTBird, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

So I just had my first ever kernal panic. After two years of computing with this iBook, today was the day the kernal panic striked. It was going to happen, sooner or later. Rather later in this case, lol. Anyway, I had my screensaver on and unplugged my ipod from the ibook (it was unmounted) and BOOM "this computer needs to be restarted". I couldn't get a pic of it, but I did get a pic of what soon followed after. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Haveing my iMac G4 for four years, I don't think ive ever had a Kernal Panic.

3. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I had a similar experience last week. I was saving my iDVD project as disc image and decided to disconnect my usb mouse so that my son could not interfere with the computer. Luckily I had just started, but I did get a kernal panic.

4. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

I see, yeah now that I have had one. I dunno, I feel like my mac is less of? LOL, I really dunno. It just seemed it was un-breakable... And a simple unplug of a iPod and BOOM.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha. :D

Yeah, one off kernel panics aren't anything to worry about. :cool:

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Bad ram module had me Kernel panicking consistently. Hosed some of my Apps, had to clean install to work out the kinks.

7. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

i've had my macbook for a month and no kernel panic...i want one :mad:

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've had 4 kernal panics over the 7 months that I've had my iBook. But none of them recently.

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

The most kernel panics I have had were the ones I had when using OS X 10.3.7 and 10.3.8. Damn, those were the buggiest system updates I had ever seen from Apple. I had 7 kernel panics in 1 month with 10.3.8. Luckily, Apple quickly updated it into 10.3.9 and I had no problems at all.

No kernel panic has ever occured to me since I purchased Tiger (initial version from 10.4.1).

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

One Kernel Panic/month are OK. As long as its not really often dont be worried. Now one a day on the other hand...

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've had 3 since I owned my MBP. That was all on 10.4.6. Now that I'm on 10.4.7, it's rock solid (except Firefox sometimes randomly quits...).

I'm hoping that Leopard will make my MacBook Pro as crashless as the OP's iBook...

12. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

why's that? I've only had one, but ever since new problems I've never had before have cropped up

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have only had a fully official kernel panic once (the we are hanging type)
    It happened yesterday when I tried to boot a 10.3 install CD on my G4 1.67ghz Powerbook. Apparently they are not compatible!

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

My freinds Mini G4 kernal panic'd 4 times when exporting from iMovie :eek:!

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Pity us Intel Switchers. I get one a week overall spread out among all the Macs I use.

16. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

I had one the other day on my MBP. The day before the machine had been very sluggish, and had problems waking from sleep (I had to power down). It's still stuttering a bit on Expose. Not sure why. It's 1.5GB of Apple RAM and Memtest said everything was fine.

17. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

A kernal panic is when you computer has to be restarted and you get like a message? or can it be softwear?

I feel like the biggest noob, ive asked SO many question about macs on this site, and ive had a mac for 4 years.

18. bradc macrumors 6502

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You get a sign on the screen with picture of the on switch behind it.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Never had one on the current machine. Of course, now that I've said that.

21. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I've had my Mac Mini for more than a year. My first multi-language screen came out a few weeks ago actually. Besides that, the only weird thing I've had is my Mac not waking up from sleep (or not going to bed properly :) )

22. Miguel0019 macrumors member

Hey Cuba I had like two of them after owning OS X for 6 years.:eek: