My first experience with an iTunes movie + 65" HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GoCubsGo, Sep 25, 2006.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bit the bullet and downloaded an iTunes movie. I wanted to see how easily and how good the quality would be on a 65" wide HDTV (rear projection). The monster of a tv was a gift and all I noticed when I got it...besides the fact that it's bigger than me and doesn't pay rent, was that it had a DVI input on the back. I was pleased.

The movie, Annapolis, downloaded in 48 minutes. I don't think that is unreasonable because it takes 15 minutes to get to the nearest movie rental place and 20 minutes to get to Target to buy the DVD. I knew I wanted to own it though, so it'd be a 40 minute round trip regardless. Perhaps that's a silly way of thinking of download time versus drive time, but to me time is everything.

I then plugged my Powerbook (rev d) into the back of my TV and got a two to one audio convertor (that is taking the two audio plugs and transforming them into one plug for my laptop. While I could easily use my external speakers, the TV speakers are much better. All of this was stuff I had on hand so setup time was under 5 minutes.

The quality of the movie was amazing. I first set it to 1900x1080 and actually watched the movie that way. There was a black bar on each side of the screen, but the screen size was still a 50" wide screen view. If I had set it to 1600x1080 or whatever the next setting down was, it would have been full screen. Feedback on that is appreciated as this was my first venture with this.

The biggest issue I had was the fact that I had no remote to start and stop the movie. I think this is ok for those with the MBP, but for me it was not possible yet. I do own the Cingular 8125 phone and I have sailing clicker so I believe this will be my best option. I use Sailing Clicker to control powerpoints and my itunes from afar, it should be perfect for this. I am not sure if anyone has thought about this, but I sure did when I had to pause the movie to get a drink. Again, another silly thing, but we all live in a remote world and I'm no exception!

I really did enjoy the whole thing and I do believe that I will do this again. This also sold me on iTV. The second we can order one I am going to. I mocked it at first, but it is really a way to do what I did.

To pay $15.00 for a movie that I cannot hold is questionable. I like that I can pre-order something like Cars for $13.00 and pay $3.00 less and save gas and drive time by downloading. The question is whether or not it's worth paying nearly the same for a new release ($15 v. $16) and never being able to hold the DVD. I'm not sure, but so far I'm ok with it.

If anyone has any suggestions about viewing or thinks I could have done something else let me know. The only other thing to note was I didn't close the lid on the powerbook all the way. I turned my BT off and then realized if I closed it and it went to sleep I wouldn't know what to do to wake it. Perhaps closing it after I hit play on the movie is ok...feedback appreciated on that one too. :)

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First off: nice gift!

Second, it's good to hear that your viewing experience at that size was enjoyable, as it bodes well for those of us with smaller tvs :). I think you could probably close the lid next time, since it should be in 'clamshell' mode, thinking it's attached to an external monitor. Sailing clicker is a great idea for those of us with powerbooks, it should be easy to configure to control iTunes/QT as well.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

how does it compare to watching a normal DVD on that TV? better, or more grainy, or about the same? have you tried viewing something HD from the powerbook on the TV? such as a movie or TV show from some other location than iTunes? just curious to see how well it does compared to other things. but it sounds cool that it works! i think it will be really nice with the iTV!!!

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It not only took you about the same amount of time to download the movie as it would have to purchase it, but you were able to do whatever you wanted while it downloaded. Also keep in mind that you can start watching the movie before it's finished downloading.

iTunes movies are about the same price as DVD's usually but you don't have to watch previews, watch FBI warnings, wait for the overly animated menu to finally show up, and you don't need physical space to store the movies (except hard drive space of course). I watched "The Wedding Crashers" on DVD this weekend and it took a good 30 seconds+ for the DVD menu to show up. It was ridiculous.

I'm trying to purchase less DVD's as I can't store all the ones I have now... I think iTunes Movies just might be what I need.

6. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll try to plug it back in tonight and take photos. I'll do it with a DVD and with a the downloaded movie. I was fairly impressed and like I said, this just makes me a true believer in iTV--will they call it that with EyeTV roaming around?
    Anyway, it's neat and like some, physical space is getting tough. My 4 shelf built-in was 1 shelf dvds and the rest photos and books...it's now 2 shelves dvds and photos and books on top. Of course there are playstation and xbox games up there to boot.

7. 05elstonc macrumors regular

05elstonc

Great to hear you enjoyed the experience. That is all that matters in the end. For all the HD, 5.1, 7.1, HDMI, THX, DTS, BluRay, HD-DVD, 16x9,Letterbox, jargon that techies love to throw around in order to discredit Apple's Movie store, all that matters is whether people enjoy the experience. Downloading is simple and easy, an iTV will make watching the movies on your TV even easier than your setup, and the quality of the image did not bother you, all of this indicates Apple has hit the sweet spot again. iTV will change the game of watching content on your tv, and the iTunes store will slowly creep into our daily lives more and more.

I also believe Apple is excited to up the resolution some more, as soon as broadband speed increases a bit, and iTV is out.

8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I wouldn't say it's discrediting it by any means. And I wouldn't say it's jargon to bring up widescreen and quality sound since you're paying a solid chunk of money for the content and therefore shouldn't get something that's been crippled for the sake of what is essentially mass-market bandwidth limitations.

We've established iTMS movies are widescreen and have 5.1, what it's missing is the resolution. To get back on the topic, I bet if the iTMS movie was side by side on the exact same setup playing a standard retail DVD version of the film, playing through an upscaling DVD player (as one would likely use on a 65" HDTV), it would be night and day. Therein lies my question of value as to the experience you're getting for what you give up in return.

And to those struggling to get to the DVD menu, there's a button on your DVD remote that says "DVD Main Menu" hit it next time the previews come on :D

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

My experince has been good too i got at 40"hd tv and Dl 24 after they anoucned the new resolution and hooked up my ipod to the tv and gotta admit it looked just as i would be watchin with the dvd sets i have yet to buy a movie conidering buying The Rookie but ill wait till tommorw and see if they added anythin new to dl and see how the movies look

10. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

The debate about DVD vs. iTunes Movies should also include the DRM aspect and the freedom in sharing content - for many people, DVD encryption is a lot easier to crack compared to cracking the ever changing FairPlay DRM scheme because the solutions are somewhat widely known. DVDs also give more freedom when you move to another place - you want to take it on a journey and play it at your friend's place in another town? Of course, you can carry your iPod and hook it to a TV there, but with a DVD you could carry the disc and probably decide to leave (or gift) that DVD to your friend there. With the iPod, you have to get some programs to rip the movie from the iPod. And then you have to deal with removing the DRM if you want to gift it or deal with authorizing your friend's computer with your account if you don't want to break the DRM. Or you could choose to carry your computer along and ditch the idea of gifting/leaving it behind (hopefully you're one of those who has a small Mac notebook or Mac Mini and are not stuck with just one PowerMac/Mac Pro where you have your media library).

So the choice of DVD vs. downloaded movies would depend on each person's priorities and intended usage.

11. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is very true. In some cases I've said that certain movies are rentals only and others are buy. Buy would be things such as LOTR since I am a fan and the comic book movies. Those are buy. They do not get rented, "backed up", they are bought. If I miss the DVD Tuesday deal that goes to Friday I pay $4.00 more for them regardless. I am a fan.

Movies such as Annapolis, those are movies that are good enough to watch again, but not the biggest collection item for me. I'm not a war buff or an Army brat type of person. I like the movie because I like the players or whatever.

Your point is very valid. The second I said that Cars was on sale for pre-order $13, I was told this will be a DVD buy. It was pre-ordered that night so I didn't sneak the download later. Yes, I need boundaries ;)

12. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Oh, I've never considered the FBI warning. I wonder if those will get added to iTunes movies eventually. :( You know the MPAA.

13. pbelmore macrumors member

I thought you had to also hook up a keyboard or mouse to it because no matter what, once you close the lid it will go to sleep. Then you click the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard and the laptop wakes back up, this time outputting to the display with the lid clseod. At least that's what I thought, maybe I'm wrong.

14. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought the same thing, but I have a BT keyboard so it wouldn't be so tough.