My first G5 encounter

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by auenway, Aug 29, 2003.

1. auenway macrumors newbie

Well I went to the Apple store today and there it was the 1.6 ghz G5, It was amazing, i was looking at the case for a while and i got to say that is the best looking case ever made, and it so smooth and just beautiful! I love how the CD tray opens, and it is really silent, I decided to run Photoshop on it and see how it is, I did some test and it wasnt to fast? I looked at the specs and I saw that it was only 256 mb, but it was alright for the much ram, if there was 512 it would have been really damn fast! Photoshop is going to rock on it!

Well I will be getting a G5, the dual 2ghz, cant wait, what about you guys?

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just saw the 1.6 ghz g5 today...it had 1.25 gb of ram

the machine seemed really quiet due to the fans moving slowly

very tall case, not as curvy or nice in appearance as the g4 design imho, but the utilitarian shape does have a nice metal case with a flat sheen appearance...not at all shiny like a plastic case

the front of the case looks a bit strange and barren but the back looks nice and there are enough ports...i think this machine may not work with some computer desks due to its taller height...too tall for the under desk compartment and i wish apple had kept it shorter

the apple logos on the sides of the machine are very low key and not as apparent as the past g4 models

the photographs i have seen of this computer don't really give the real scale of the machine and this is one of those things one has to see in person...i still think its size may turn some people off...but its quietness will win over some who may have not been happy with the louder g4 towers in the past

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It seems like they are arriving in stores right about now; looks like a visit to compusa or the local apple store is necessary :)

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

San Diego Mac-heads, the Fashion Valley store has a 1.8GHz demo model out.

Very nice. :)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA now has 'em. They are as ugly in person as they looked in the photos. I'm sorry - I was hoping to find their look aesthetically pleasing. Only an opinion of course, but at least I don't have to be jeolous of both the look and speed of the G5 compared to my MDD G4.

6. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I think adding the hight was a good move on apples part, it gave us another expansion bay, didnt it? I wouldnt mind adding a CD-rom in allong side the Super Drive and a Zip Drive as well :)

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Vegeta-

There is only room for ONE removable-media drive in the G5.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I still haven't seen a g5 yet, but I've seen comparison images to the g4 and the g5.. I know its big. I'll be heading up to Apple Easton tomorrow to do some shopping, I hope they have one in.

Oh yeh.. Go Bucks!

9. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

What are you talking about?

10. auenway thread starter macrumors newbie

One of my friends who is a apple reseller, told me they made it bigger because they will be releasing the 30' Apple Dislpays and it will all go together, teh G5 and the monitor will the same hight so they will look very nice together.

Also maybe in the future they will have expansion bays for the G5 that also another reason its bigger, you can add more things inside.

Also we wont see teh true power of the G5 until Panther is released because that is a 64 bit OS and that will bring out all the power in the G5, also if your into graphics, you will see the biggest difference when Photoshop 8 and Illustrator 11 are released because those will also be 64 bit programs, the current ones are not.

11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

really? Thats awesome. I saw the 1.6 the day it came out at the Fashion Valley Apple Store (I know this because even the employees were checking it out :p) and Fry's Electronics on Aero Drive now has a 1.6GHz.

Update on the San Diego G5 situation is now completed. Expect a new update next time I visit CompUSA :cool:

By the way, Rower, was the 1.8 very speedy compared with the 1.6?

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I haven't used a 1.6, so I can't compare the two. Sorry.

13. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

they wont be 64 bit programs..!

you need the os to be 64 bit

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i went to compusa today and they had the g5 on display [next to a 23" cinema i might add ;)]

my first impression was that wow it looks better in person

my next thought was how big it was across, i mean the thing is ginormous compared to the little g4 pmac.

i love the cd tray thingy :)

erm whatelse...

all the apps i tested opened in only a few bounces, while ms word still took a ghastly amount of time.

all in all pretty sweet.

btw it was the 1.6ghz g5 with 256mb ram

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ann arbor compusa had the same setup as described by tazo. 1.6 ghz with 256 mb next to a 23" display.

as echoed earlier, the case is really tall.
    the cd drive slot is really neat.

i tried opening several apps, iApps and IE... i wasn't very impressed. i think g4 dual 1.42 was quicker... but of course, i just did the super unscientific "dock bounce" benchmark, so it doesn't say much...

i think lesson is that if you are going to drop so much on the computer, you better budget enough to get worthy amount of ram.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just got back from CompUSA five minutes ago. Odd that I didn't see you there. (Never mind that you are in Seattle and I'm in Los Angeles.)

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was last in Seattle in 1998. The guy who gave me a ride from the airport apologized for the rush hour traffic and I had to laugh because there were only a few dozen cars in view and they were moving just fine. In L.A., rush hour means thousands of cars practically standing still.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think in the context of that machine, g5, fast bus, and osx, the least amount of ram that makes sense is 1 gig

i can see using 512 megs for an ibook and student use/home use and osx

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Wow, someone hasn't been paying attention to all the discussion these past few weeks. :rolleyes:

(in case you didn't know, both 10.2.7 and 10.3 will support 64 bit programs without being fully 64 bit themselves, since they wouldn't run on G4/G3s if they were fully 64 bit)

21. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

well in CT apple store they had 1.6 since last tuesday I think...
    I think it's way too big, and in 1.6 model there is so much space wasted inside... They could have decreased the size by atleast 5 inches or so...
    I still think it looks like crap but looks isn't my main concern.
    Quietness brought my attention though... I'll put it in my bedroom and I often leave a computer on while I sleep, so, quietness definatelly is a big plus for me...
    I removed cabinets above my desk so now size DOESN'T MATTER! heh :D

22. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Damn! I've been trying to focus on getting what I need to get done to move back to FL, but I might just have to pop over to the Apple store at the Lenox Mall and see if they have the G5s in yet.

I really want to play around with one!!

:D

Alia

23. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

jaguar just like the upcomming panther will be 32bit operating systems

they incorporate code to let it use the g5's memory handeling
    just like 10.2.7 does..
    its just optimized for the g5

24. bertagert macrumors 6502

I saw my first G5 at the King of Prussia Apple store today. My impressions:

It is a tall machine. Not a big deal though. I also don't see why some say its ugly? I thought the smooth Al looked nice. To each his own I guess.

Speed: I wasn't impressed. It was a 1.6 with 512 of ram. I think a dual 1.42 with the same amount of ram is much snappier. Hopefully the dual 2.0 fixes this (maybe panther will too). I tried opening programs like photoshop, imovie, Word, etc. All took many bounces with the beach ball. Playing with photoshop wasn't that impressive either. Again, a 1.4 dual seems much quicker.

Noise: Well, I really didn't have a chance to hear. There was some guy there that wouldn't shut up! All he did was yap about how great MAC's are to potential customers so there wasn't time to hear anything except his annoying voice. However, I did notice that the fans are at a really low rpm. Lower rpm = low noise most of the time.

So, there's my report. I think I'll wait till I can play on a dual 2 ghz. That's what I'll be buying anyway.

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I saw my first one the other day at CompUSA in Birmingham. It was rather striking. They had nothing on it so you really could not get a feel for the speed other than the OS which was very very snappy.

iPhoto launched in one bounce, and iCal in a half of one. Much better than the 7 or so on the 17"iMac I just sold.