My first iPod experience

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Nermal, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Disclaimer: This thread is not for people who want to complain about legality.

At tech today, I came out of class to have a friend come up to me and ask whether I had brought my computer in. "Yes," I reply. "Do you have any music on it?" "Why?"

He proceeds to pull out his iPod mini. My first reaction was "Is that real?"

"Nah, it's fake," he replies sarcastically. But I was amazed, I was really surprised to find a mini here in NZ. So I take a look at it - it's a 15 gig iPod, not a mini at all! This is the first time I'd ever seen one in person, and I'm still amazed at how small it is.

Anyway, it turns out that he was given the iPod, but the FireWire card he'd bought didn't like his computer. So he asked whether I could copy some music onto it for him. We went into the computer lab (where I had my G4 set up), and plugged it in.

First, iTunes popped up and informed me that there was newer iPod software available (I always run Software Update, even if I don't need the updates). So I clicked Yes, and the iPod Updater launched.

The iPod Updater proceeded to tell me that it could not update the iPod because it wasn't mounted on the desktop - although I could clearly see its icon. I clicked OK and it then told me that the update was successful - please do not disconnect the iPod, and wait for the update to complete. Meanwhile, the iPod screen has a big tick icon along with the message "OK to disconnect".

I waited a couple of minutes, and nothing happened, so I disconnected. I reconnected and tried again - same thing happened. So the third time, I decided not to perform the update. This time, it offered to synchronise my library, which would delete everything from the iPod. However, my friend had managed to get a few songs onto it, so I declined the offer and downloaded an iPod -> iTunes transfer utility.

After putting his songs into my iTunes, I let it synch, and it told me that my lossless files wouldn't work with his iPod, due to the older software. I let it go though anyway. It worked fine.

Then I realised that I could wipe the iPod and start from scratch, the music was all on my HD after all. So I started up the iPod Updater again, and selected to restore the iPod to its original state. It worked, the iPod actually responded with a progress bar this time.

Once the restore was complete, the iPod icon on my desktop changed - it now looked like an iPod rather than a generic disk. That got my hopes up, so I resynched, and it all worked fine :)

It was a bit of a mission though! :eek:

On a different note, I got home, started setting up my computer again, only to find that the girl I commute with had accidentally nicked off with my DVI -> VGA adapter :mad:

So she's on her way over now, and I'm typing this on the spare Linux computer. The keyboard is a nightmare, so I'll stop now. Your condolences please :rolleyes:

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

:) its better than mine..
    i bought an iPod primarily coz my 30 gb ibook was reaching its limits, so i transferred all 12gb of songs to the iPod, deleted the songs from iBook, all this in 5-10 minutes on reaching home from apple store..then i went to pee..and my ever curious roommate again plugged the iPod into the iBook...so here i come, releived, and connected the iPod to the home receiver, only to realize in horror that there was nothing on it....:eek: :D
    yah, n i killed my roommate..

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think the iPod updater on the Mac will not update an iPod that has previously been updated on a PC. Mine won't.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, he hadn't updated it on Windows. He'd only just got the iPod, and he couldn't even get his FireWire card to work. He did manage to transfer a few songs from one of the lab computers, but as far as I know he didn't update the software.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't actually understand what happened here - why was there nothing on it? Simply plugging it in doesn't wipe everything :eek:

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    He'd deleted the songs from the iBook, the roomie plugged it back in - presumably said 'synch to iTunes' and ta da.... no more songs on the iPod :eek:

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

ig-f-uckin-zactly.. :D

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's a bit stupid really. The default setting should be to copy new songs but not delete old ones.

9. Anna macrumors regular

Yes it does, its to prevent someone downloading a whole playlist from someones computer and then transferring it over to theirs (although it can be done :p )

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, just turn on Manually sync.

But yeah, Nermal, I believe he might have a problem getting his iPod to work on his PC now. Now that it's HFS+ formated.

11. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

a bit off topic - but i was startled by this too. as a 1st gen owner, i was suprised at how small the 3rd gen iPods are! i made the same mistake at thinking it was a mini!

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, he came up to me the next day, saying that he can't read it on any Windows computers now :(

But even after all these hassles, I still want an iPod for myself :) - my parents are overseas and might be able to pick up one for cheap :)

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Just wait until you see a *real* mini! :)