My first Leopard Bug: IMAP Mail Error, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Javdogjavdog, Nov 8, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Error message is as follows:

"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.."

This is my first Leopard bug. The Mail program cannot delete messages using IMAP. Mail worked fine using Tiger, so that is lame. Now I have to use Webmail to actually delete a message. Any thoughts?

Jav

2. macrumors 601

Phil A.

What IMAP server are you using? IMAP delete works fine in Leopard for me with GMail

3. macrumors 6502a

This isn't a Leopard bug. The problem is on the server end. Which service? Or is this your own web site? I have 3 different IMAP accounts, all with different servers and providers and I have zero problems.

4. macrumors newbie

Solution

This is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to IMAP account settings when upgrading to Leopard. Check out Mail->Preferences...->Accounts->Trash

You should see two checkboxes (if this is an IMAP account), the second of which reads "Store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Anyway, this happened to me on two of my machines and the above resolved it, so it is probably worth try.

Ian.
    --

5. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have this problem too with my AOL Mail account in Leopard. I said screw it and went back to POP3.

6. macrumors newbie

This did the trick for me, thx!

7. macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, that did the trick!!!!

:)

8. macrumors newbie

Executive

thank you!

9. macrumors newbie

Thank you

I've had a lot of troubles with this one as I somehow moved these emails from another account to my gmail trash.
    I tried removing the account before and it didn't help. Then I followed your advice, and i was still the same problem. I removed the gmail and added it again and voila! Thanks a lot, my hair stopped turning gray for a few minutes! :)