My First Mac: 15" Ruby iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gomatt, Feb 22, 2007.

1. gomatt macrumors member

Feb 21, 2006
    Two nights ago was the night I purchased my first mac ever.

A 15" iMac Ruby complete with Dell optical USB mouse and a USB Gateway Keyboard and a power cord.

Price: $40 cash

A friend of mine sent me a link to a newly posted craigslist iMac. He was offering $65, but managed to bring him down a bit. Went to his garage to pick it up and I found myself a mac man. It was filled with mac hardware he got from auctions... but to make a long story short I got it.

I am on it right now, it has a fresh install of mac os 10.4. I have only updated everything and installed adium. I am going to get a MBP (already planned on it) in a few months, so this should hold me over. I can't even use my pc anymore, it is slow and sucks. This iMac boots faster than my freshly installed windows xp machine. Here are the specs:

OS 10.4.8
    450 MHz PowerPC G3
    256 MB SDRAM
    20GB Hard Disk
    24x CD-Rom

I am basically going to use it for a streaming itunes player out here in the living room. I live in a small 888 sq/ft apartment with two other roommate here at Florida State University. It will make a great addition to my grill nights... (

I am very happy with this machine. Its fast for the small things, was cheap, and looks really cool. Everyone keeps looking inside of it. The speakers arnt blown, the screen isn't burned in, crystal clear.

Just thought I would let you all know of my first mac.

Also, if I hook this up with VGA to my 2007FPW, is there a way I can disable the CRT?