My first Mac... iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tahko, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Tahko macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2005
    Good luck to any other switchers waiting for their new iBook or even better luck for those intending to buy it, because it's well worth it! I'm being constantly amazed by this product, as it constantly surprises me (surprise?). I just hooked a cheapo 9€ SpeedLink USB-travelmouse on this and it detected all three buttons AND the scrollwheel. Without any drivers.

Also, I haven't restarted this for once since installing OSX & its updates. Or nothing has failed, not a single program. Pretty amazing if considered what I've done:
    - ripped almost every of my cd's and some of the friends too
    - installed & uninstalled some programs (installing them is a breeze, uninstalling too easy to be true from ex-windows users viewpoint!)
    - surfed some p0rn0 on very questionable sites just for the sake of test, because sites on question messed my windows machine pretty bad
    - changed firewall configurations
    - updated programs (seems like update of OSX is only thing needing a jolly good ol' restart)
    - tossing iBook into 4 different networks, one of them being wlan
    - sitting on balcony smoking cigarettes, sipping beer & composing a song on Garageband (only with keyboard + software instruments, no audio-in yet) with friend for 3 hours
    ...and much more!

I used Windows last time when I transported files from our PC to iBook, and after I was done with it I reformatted iPod used for transition to macs fs. Next time I open our PC is just to delete my user account.

Seriously, this is amazing! :D

PS: graphics aint that bad either. if some whinees still complain about 32 megas, get a life. or a powerbook. and in finland this computer with it's small size, built-in bluetooth & airport already has a great value.
  2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    lol...suuuuuuure....for the sake of a test eh...this is why you are so impressed with the ibook...just like the chapelles show more clickidy clack??
  3. bemylover macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2005
    screen resolution for the 14" model SUCKS!!!! i'll say it again, it sucks. i almost wish i bought 15" PB even though it's 600$ more expensive.

also safari and DVD player crashed on me, once each.

but it has lots of good qualities too ;) after PC laptops it's definately a relief.
  4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Congratulations on the switch.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a lot, lot longer. Don't be worried by people posting about the resolution - I love just having a bigger screen to stare at when doing long periods of work :D

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    That's a great switching story, you must be so happy you discovered about OS X....

And i agree about the iBook being plenty fast and the graphics are good enough...

SHadOW ;)
  6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    I'm with ya.

Got the same iBook as you. It's great. I imported all my digital photos into iPhoto, hooked up my video camera to iMovie, moved over to using mail and iCal. Everything just seems to work no problemo. Screen resolution is not a problem. I'm more productive on that little sceen with Expose then I am on my 19" trinitron at 1600x1200 and xp.

I do have an issue with printing to printers shared on my windows xp machines, but that post is in another thread. Anyone with some advice can look here:
  7. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2004
    Denton, TX
    I too am looking into buying a new iBook. the high end verision, but i have a question...

Is the stock high end good to really create music on. Like i want to start putting my band on here and writing through garage band. Is the 512ram enough? I will definitly up it to an 80gig HD so should i up to a gig of ram too? Do i even really need too?
  8. Tahko thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2005
    @shadowmoses: Yes, I'm very happy about my little discovery. macs aren't promoted here in Finland at all. we have no tv-ads or even small commercials on moajor papers. at least I haven't spotted any. also, macs by themselves are nice and this lil' iBook is sure nice thing to carry around. especially since when I go to my friends with this I don't have to carry any cables with me since the battery life is so good!

@drumpat01: I don't know about live recording yet, but I think that if you are going to record many livetracks at once without delays maxing the ram out would be wise. running software instruments doesn't take so much ram, with my 512 megs I can happily roll 8 tracks of those. haven't tried more. ;)

and the resolution suits me just fine. I don't really get it why people complain about it, since viewing 1280x1024 res on 12" screen would be pain in the ass even for Tex Willer. the expose function surely helps like VanMac said. Oh, and now I can finally type 32°C easily, my PC kkeyboard lacked the ° -mark :p