My First mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Nov 6, 2006.

1. levitynyc macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2006
    I have a 24" iMac 3GB of Ram 500 GB HD - 256 MB Graphics card - 2.33 MHZ
    Wireless Mouse

I have never owned a Mac before, and barely used OSX, but I gambled big and won big time by buying this.

I am upgrading a 6 year old Dell. ( I use new Dells at work) This baby blow everything out of the water.

My iMac is barely audible when its on.

No stuck pixels. I think i had a few, but with a little pressing on them, they were gone. (They could have been dirt spots, but I can't tell...)

I really like OSX. I am till getting used to it, but I love the speed of this baby.

I hate the MM (but i discussed that in another thread).

Thank you for all your help. I am really enjoying this machine.

What are some cool quick key things I can do on OSX (I already know Control Alt Command 8)
  2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    If we are talking about useless but impressive features, my favorite is holding down the shift key while using expose/minimize
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    there are a ton - you can look up in Mac Help, from Finder.

aside from cut/copy/paste (cmd-x, cmd-c, cmd-v) here are some of the more useful ones:

Exposé F9, F10, F11 (and/or hot corners)
    Dashboard F12 (and/or hot corners)

Screen shots (complete with shutter sound)
    (they will put a PNG file on desktop):
    cmd-shift-3 does full screen shot (complete with shutter sound)
    cmd-shift-4 gives you cursor, to select portion of screen you want to capture
    cmd-shift-4, followed by "space" will give you a "camera" cursor. place it over the window you want to capture and it will capture ONLY that window. This is nicer than dragging cursor around it and doesn't need trimming after.

cmd-tab brings up application switcher

in Finder:
    cmd-shift-A opens Application folder
    cmd-shift-U opens Utilities Folder
    cmd-shift-H opens your Home folder

many, many more shortcuts for getting around in Finder, best to consult help
  5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    If you are trying to close an app in the dock, you can click and hold and that brings up the same menu as if you ctrl+click or right click. This is nice if you are too lazy to hit control or reach to the right button.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Did you know that you can connect a FireWire cable between your cable box (standard or high-def) and use iRecord to record shows on your Mac, then use VLC to watch them?

Nice bit for just the cost of a FireWire cable.... esp. for high-def content.