My first mac!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by digital1, Oct 20, 2004.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

After about 5 years of waiting and waiting, I will finally be able to get a mac! I ordered an iMac G5 w/ 512mb ram. I will be primarily be using it for my music work(Reason 2.5),etc. and coding. I will be posting an opening ceremony on my site (http://www.uwm.edu/~oamedina) when it comes. :) According to Apple, it's supposed to take about 2-3 weeks. Is this about typical for everyone here? Also, if someone has a copy of Reason 2.5 with license they are willing to sell PM me! :)

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Welcome to the fold.
    which iMac did you order? I have two co-workers who each ordered a 20" 1.8 with BTO options (BT key/mouse combo, 1GB RAM) the week they were unveiled. Both got them in about three weeks.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

welcome to the mac world! you have made the right decision and i'm sure within a few weeks you will never want to be without it! i'm envious of your imac they look so nice!

4. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thanks. I ordered the 17 in. 1.6GHz g5 w/512 mb ram. Thanks Russ! :) I have been a converted mac geek for some time now. I just didnt have a mac! I was telling people to convert over to the mac for years now! LOL Now I will have one of my own to be geek with. ;) I have suffered the scorn of liking macs without having one! Its insane. LOL But its cool ;)

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Enjoy your new toy! Now of course this going to start a domino effect of more Apple stuff, like the iPod etc.....
    Have fun!!

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A cold and lonely place. I was there for about 6 months once... brrrr!

7. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

What happened after 6 months? LOL

I look forward to the domino effect ;)

8. daggle macrumors newbie

Ordered the 20"/1GB Ram (2x512)/250GB HD/No BT or AP on 22/9/04 online via AppleStore. The estimated ship date given was on or before 21/10/04. As it's now 21/10/04 with the order still reporting as "Open", I'm kinda figuring I'll get an order delayed email from Apple with new estimated ship date. :(

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's funny. Over here, no one makes fun at you for liking Macs. It's more that they've never really heard of the them :( You get a confused look on their face before they try to remember using a Macintosh Classic in school all those years ago... :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with your new iMac - you've made a good choice. :)

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

LOL! Did you find yourself loitering outside the Apple Store blowing on your hands to warm them, torturing yourself with treasures just out of your reach, looking wistfully at all those shiny happy people walking out with their slick little Apple bagpacks on their shoulders, maybe even think about meeting one in the parking lot for a little "one-on-one therapy?" :p

11. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

I just go in the Apple store for hours and play with them until one day I can afford them. :D Since I am getting my iMac, now I have to go around and wait around the Apple store messing with iPods and things. ;)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like you are a committed Mac fan. Welcome aboard, I'm sure that you will greatly enjoy your purchase. Hopefully your iMac will arrive in the 2 - 3 week time frame.

13. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thanks Wdlove! :) Yeah, I don't get to do that too often anymore, but I am thinking sometime this week I will have to stop on by and play with the new iPods and the iMac(again). Usually I make my trip when something new is released. I remember once I was outside the Apple store for the release of Panther(Where I received my Panther dog tags in fact) and I felt at home! It was cool. There was a principal, and some *nix geeks.That was some of the most fun I have had in a while. It was cool to be with people that think a like and we come from different backgrounds. (*nix geeks, principal, and a computer science student(me)) It's pretty funny when I go in there sometimes.I think the people that work there know me by face at least. LOL One of the guys used to get this look on his face like :eek: It was awesome. I will probably have to go in there and do a blog. HEY there's an idea. I could monthly reviews of Mac stuff in the Mac Store and post them on my blog! LOL That would be funny.... Maybe I will do that. :p :D

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You will have to let us know if you decide to do an Apple Store Mac Stuff review. Your website is awesome, well done. Your dog Chulla, looks very sweet. Reminds me of my dogs. According to your picture you appear to be very tall like me. I still have my Panther dog tags. The last time I wore them to the Apple Store a couple of people thought that I worked there.

15. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thanks Wdlove. The site started off as an assignment than I decided just to keep going with it and talk about things that affect me, things that I think about,etc. I truely look at technology as a form of art and self-expression, so why not express myself ;). Hence the reason I am in Computer Science. Not too much artistic expression going on with the exception of Apple,Sony, and a handful of others. I am not by far the best, but I do work at it. I am sure Woz and Steve weren't the best in the beginning and look where they are now! ;) Anywho, yeah, it's a pity my dog died. She was very special. The new dog I have is nice though. Its going to be interesting seeing how he grows up and things.

16. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

It Shipped!!

My Mac shipped! It shipped on Saturday from Shanghai China! :) Estimated recieve date is Friday at noon! ;) YAY! ;) :D

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congratulations!
    You will have to let us know when you are writing from it!

You know the saying, "once you go Mac, you never go back"

Come to think of it... its about time I started looking to get a new Mac.

18. mac-er macrumors 65816

I am so jealous. Please let us know if you have any issues or problems.

19. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

20. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

:D :D heh heh thanks guys. ;) I look forward to that day. ;) I will let you all know and there will be an accompanying opening ceremony. ;)

21. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Opening Ceremony....

I have posted my opening ceremony on my website. ;) visit:

http://www.uwm.edu/~oamedina/blogger.html

even though i am not typing from it now, I have thrown it up. It is awesome to be working on a mac at home. The only prob i have seen so far is that iPhoto froze when I had over 2700 photos in my collection. I had to blow away the directory and recreate it with only a few of my images. Ah well. Enjoy guys.

22. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Congratulations mate and welcome to the club!
    I can still remember my excitement of opening my first Mac box!
    Ahhh a beautiful experience... one I will never forget.

23. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Thanks DJY! :)

24. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

before the iPod made it big and Apples name was brought more in the spotlight people mocked me for my mac! They had still heard of Apple but just laughed at the idea of owning one. They aren't laughing now. Alot of my friends now think that Apple is an uber cool brand.

they're right! ;)

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One useful trick with iPhoto if you have lots of images and not so much RAM, is to import the pics in rolls (it does mean you have to do each folder individually) and keep the rolls closed unless you want to look in it specifically. Trying to keep over 2000 pics in the main library will slow it down drastically