My first popup!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iSaint, Mar 11, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I just had my first pop-up ad on my iBook since my switch 9 months ago! I'm using Firefox, and lo and behold I switched pages and there was an Applebee's click through ad!

And I think I was surfing around MacRumors when it happened!

Anyone else get pop-ups? ...or not?

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i've been getting popups for the past couple of days. i forget which sites though. i'm using safari

3. iGary Guest

iGary

This has been happening to me for weeks.

I've gone from one every now and then to leaving Safari and having 20 pop-unders left behind.

Evidently, advertiser-scumcoders have figured a way around the blocking code.

Ready for a fix anytime.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Never gotten a pop-up using Firefox, yet...

There has been a lot of pop-unders plaguing Safari users the last month or so, though, so maybe the ad programmers are getting better... :(

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

For a whole year and a half I hadn't had a single popup on my powebook. But now in Safari they started about a month ago. I only get about 2 per day and that pisses me off. I can't imagine how the pc users feel :p

6. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I get popups now and then and it generally happens when I visit a Mac themed site. I don't get any on this site but on some of the other Mac forum sites I see them from time to time. I'm using Safari. I don't get any using IE on my desktop while vising the same sites. The latest upgrade in Windows has effectively blocked all popups, even those you may want. You get a little notice at the top that will allow you to permit the popup. Is there anything like this for Safari? I personally like using Safari because it is what came with my computer and I really don't care for Firefox but I may consider it if this continues. Any suggestions?

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The technology to defeat pop-up ad blockers has been around for almost a year, and has recently started to be widely used. I'd imagine a developer over on Firefox/Mozilla is making it a priority to figure out how it works, and will find a way to block those as well - at least that's what I'm hoping. :D

8. skunk_pb17 macrumors newbie

yeah... a pop-up is something that can really ruin your day :rolleyes:
    most of the time i get them from smiley something, but it doesnt work for mac anyway :confused: hope apple fixes it.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Like many of you, I've been experiencing pop-ups for about a month now with Safari. Fairly rare, but still annoying.

And I'm still on Jaguar. Even if Apple comes out with a fix, it'll probably be only for Panther/Tiger.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I to have been getting pop-ups its driving me crazy :eek:

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Every time I get a pop-up in Safari, I submit a bug report to Apple. It takes two seconds, and the more they hear the complaints, hopefully the higher priority the fix will become.

12. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I get a pop-under from Interfacelift.com
    But now I have a pro membership, so no more adds!

13. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

MDN

I now get a pop-under whenever I use safari when visiting macdailynews.com.

14. OnaMacSince1989 macrumors member

There isn't currently an option to say 'yes' to a blocked pop-up, but if you are going to a page where you need to allow a pop up (like certain chat rooms), you can turn off the pop-up blocker temporarily and then turn it back on after the needed pop up appears.

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That would be a good new feature for safari--like a control-click (or alt-click), to allow a pop-up.

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Safari + PithHelmet = no pop-ups/pop-unders (well, none that I've found, anyway).

17. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I was pop-up free since my iMac purchase in Jan. but the past week or so I've gotten about half a dozen. I use firefox, but haven't upgraded to the latest version yet...I wonder if this has something do with it?

allison.