My first spat with Apple :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drb6, Aug 7, 2005.

1. drb6 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm just coming off a bad conversation with Apple support people. I was trying to transfer files from an external HD to my new ibook. Some files transfered (mainly documents) while others like pictures don't. Once I copy and paste them, I waited for several minutes and tried to open them. And I got a message saying that another program is using it. So I figured it needed more time. Now I've waited almost 30 minutes after copying and pasting one picture (jpg) and still the same thing.

I tried some itunes files as well and finder just froze up. This has happened many times since I started 'trying' to transfer files. The guy at apple support was no help at all and asked me to contact the external HD maker. I told him it wasn't a problem with that since it works on my PC fine. I just felt like choking him. Arghhh.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edit: oh btw, I've also seen the beach ball about 6 times now during this process and also when i try to open image files directly from the HD

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

only thought that comes to mind right now is maybe the hard drive is not compatible with mac??? probably not true, but just a thought...

3. fuzzwud macrumors regular

is there an Apple Store nearby? Maybe someone there knows ...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the drive is mounted on the desktop, you could always do a "Get Info" and see how it's formatted.

5. mbdamdg macrumors member

Is the Hard drive Firewire or USB? If it is only USB 1, you'll be waiting a long time.....

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, but surely not 30 minutes for a .jpg....

7. drb6 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to be formatted for MS-DOS Fat 32. My dad has a whole bunch of stuff on it so I don't think I want to change the formatting.

Oh and its USB 2.0, pretty fast with my old laptop. Is there an alternative to this? Do I have to put everything on CD? I have about 9gb on there so that'll be painful. I was excited because i thought this would be the easiest way to do it.

8. bigredsixer macrumors newbie

bigredsixer

Well that depends. JPG doesnt always mean small. If its high resolution or large in size it can be a 400mb file. I doubt thats the deal, but it is possible.

Have you tried any other form of external device with the same file? Thumb drive, diskette??? If that works than there is a good chance either your external HD is not compatable or not working. If that does not work, then you can tell the tech that it cant be the compatibility of the HD because it does it with other devices.

Narrowing it down for the Techs will help immensly. You have to understand that they are helping you fix a problem blindly, and that can be difficult. You have to take the extra steps sometimes.

9. drb6 thread starter macrumors regular

i've used a thumb drive with a few itunes files and it works. not the same ones but this time there is no lag or problem. i think it is because of the formatting. that just bums me out though since every other way is so complicated. my ipod is getting impatient waiting for me to upload music :(

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Fat 32 is the root of your problem I think. OS X is compatible, but sometimes can be very slow at reading it.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If it works fine on Windows then it's the Mac's fault for not being able to read from it correctly. I would do a scandisk or whatever it's called of the drive from Windows. If that doesn't solve the problem then I would plug the HD into the Windows PC, copy everything off it (or just what the Mac can't transfer), reformat the external HD, copy everything back, then try again.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Plug the drive into the Windows computer then copy the files via network.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are kidding, aren't you? Like a Windows machine would read an HFS+ disk with no problems.
    If it's his dad's HD, that might not be such a good idea.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends how old a laptop. Even if the drive is USB 2.0 the laptop has to have USB 2.0 on the motherboard or it will transfer at USB 1.1 speeds.

Think of it this way. If you make approximately 14 CDs out of the data, it may take you a couple of hours but you'll have an excellent backup; which, if the only copy of the data is on an external drive which is not reading reliably on the Mac, you would surely want to have....

15. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Could it be that spotlight is trying to index the external drive and therefore slowing everything up?

16. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I was going to draw the same conclusion.

17. rinseout macrumors regular

It's true that Spotlight will automatically try to index an external HD the moment you plug it in; at least one that's HFS+ formatted.

I think this is a terrible way to have it, personally; they should have had it set to not automatically index external drives unless the user wanted it. I don't need to index my backup disk, for example.

Setting the Privacy options is not a permanent solution to this, since the privacy settings will go away when you eject the disk.

The other thing with external disks (while I'm ranting) is that it seems impossible to eject one partition without ejecting the entire device. So if I have my external partitioned into two HFS+ filesystems, if you eject one filesystem the other goes away too. Badly done, Apple.

18. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I've always had no problems at all connecting Windows formatted external drives to a Mac. Windows formatted iPods work seamlessly with Macs too, and good transfer speeds.

Although the tech wasn't very helpful, to be honest this is a strange situation. These things normally just work. If the drive is formatted fine, and your Mac is running fine, then the hardware in the drive would be a possibility. What kind/brand drive is it?

After connecting, you can go into Spotlight preferences and turn off Spotlight for the external drive.

Another person suggested copying the files over a network. That would get around your problem. Also, if your Mac only has a USB 1 port, then copying over a network (if it's 100BaseT) will be a lot faster. If it's a new iBook, then it's probably USB 2 anyways.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We're not talking HFS+ here, though. If the drive is formatted FAT32 and Windows reads it fine, the mac should be able to read it as well.

20. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I agree with your rants about Spotlight. For such a powerful desktop search tool I feel that the preferences are a bit lacking.

You in fact can eject one partition without ejecting the other, you just can't from Finder.

You'll have to go into Disk Utility to eject on partition.

Hope that helped.

21. Mr.Hostility macrumors newbie

Mr.Hostility

22. PrOeliuM macrumors member

And yet some people (like me) still have to use it since it's the only one to my knowledge that can safely work in a mixed OS environment running OSX, XP, and Linux.

I sure wish there was some "updated" fat32, or any other file system that would gain acceptance and compatibilty amongts the three major OSs so I could not worry about reading from my hd's depending on which of my comps I'm using (network shares not withstanding).

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

M$ fights to the teeth to make NTFS incompatible with linux/BSD/OS X, mac os x has pretty much the best file system compatibility being able to read NTFS, write/read, UFS, HFS, FAT, FAT32 the only thing i want is EXT2/3 compatibility.

24. drb6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I thought it was weird, everything else I connected worked so smoothly. Now I'm a little worried about my iPod which I formatted for Windows, I gotta see how that goes later.

The HD says D.B.F. that might just be the case though. I'll check with my dad. Oh by the way I'm a girl :)

Okay 2 follow up questions
    1. How do I turn off spotlight for external drives? I found preferences but it only has the list where I can order how the results are shown.
    2. When copying files over a network, can I connect the external HD to the PC and then transfer over that way or do I actually put the files onto the PC.

Thanks

25. bigredsixer macrumors newbie

bigredsixer

Can you reformat Ipods to Mac? Will it work on Windows machine then?