my first time...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kakkoiimac, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

Well...I just wanted to let everyone know that this morning that i had my very first...kernal panic. I was kinda surprised, but it wasnt anything too bad. I guess i had always wondered what people were talking about here in there forums.

Anyway, is there anything that you should be sure to do after something like this happens. I wish i was smart and took a screen shot of the message it posted after i restarted.

Last thing is that after my panic...the top menu bar settings changed...the time was not displayed nor was my internation icon...any particular reason why? I had to go back into preferences and change those things to be displayed.

anyway thanks all for any help

2. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

what did you do that started it?

maybe it needs mac-xanax for kernal panic attacks!

3. kakkoiimac thread starter macrumors regular

heheheh...yeah...hook my mac up with some of that. The funny thing is im not sure what happened...i was doing homework and put my mac aside to do some reading and when i woke it up it had its little panic attack. Im sure all i had open was ical, safari, MS Word and probably itunes

4. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

This reminds me of my old iBook... A lot of times the kernal panic is caused because of data disruption due to a circuit board or some application that runs in root.

I would personally talk to the Apple Support and see if they can reproduce the problem, if they can't, it's probably a fluke, but if they can, you can help them fix it! (What an honor it would be to help Apple fix a probelm to a great OS).

But that's my suggestion.

Steve

5. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I just had my first kernal panic two days ago on my 20" iMac. I was installing the iChat update and it happened after installing the software. I was really surprised. I don't know if it is anything to be too worried about though. I'm just going to keep a watchful eye out.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The random KP that happens once every couple months or so isn't really anything to worry about. It's the KPs that happen often (daily/weekly) that one should be concerned about.

Look at it this way.. if KPs consistantly interupt your workflow, then it's a problem that should be addressed. Otherwise.. drive on.

8. kakkoiimac thread starter macrumors regular

ok...i read a little about disk repairs and fsck...does that have anything to do with kernal panics?

9. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

If you do have more than one KP in a day/week, does that mean a failing hard drive?