My first trip abroad

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Sep 13, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003

my 21st is in about 5 weeks, and my parents have decided to pay for my girlfriend and i to go away on a citybreak.

I've never really been abroad (aside from a few trips to France as a kid which i don't really remember), and never been on a plane! I'm really excited about the opportunity, so i wanna go somewhere cool, different and cheap when you get there.

I'm in the UK, so somewhere in Europe would be best, but i don't want to go to places where everyone's been - i wanna go somewhere where people can't tell me where to go, or what to see, and then tell me their stories about that place.

So anyone got any suggestions? I guess i'm kinda shooting myself in the foot by asking for reccomendations, but i figured someone will have some cool suggestions. Ideally, i'd LOVE to go to russia or iceland, but Russia isn't really doable for a long weekend, and iceland is way too expensive!

So yeah, don't tell me what to do when i get there, suggestions for some non-touristy places with amazing cultures would be great :D

At the moment i'm thinking Prague, but i'm open to suggestions :D
  2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    check out some remote parts of spain, if you speak spanish.....
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Munich is a lovely city, but is best enjoyed if you love beer. Prague is meant to be very nice and reasonably unspoiled. You can go to New York for a long weekend if you can stomach the 9 hour flights!
  4. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    Australia is good!! excellent beaches!! :D

but from the sounds of things you're looking for some other place... and you can probably see all the 'culture' of Australia in magazines and stuff. ;) :p but there's still some cool stuff to do and see here.
  5. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Prague is amazing. I travelled there often when I lived in Germany. Due to the cheap but excellent food, inexpensive hotels and friendly people, and amazing culture and atmosphere, I would highly recommend Prague. The city itself is just beautiful.
  6. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    new zealand would be fantastic if we had more than just a long weekend to play with. And yes; it was where they filmed LOTR, most of the population were extras!!

I'd love to go to australia - i have a load of friends in the melbourne area and i'd love to pay them a visit - also means i'd only have to pay for flights!

Wanna go check out the neighbours set too - what can i say? i'm a daytime tv junkie :D

As for prague, it does sound fantastic so i expect we'll end up there.

NYC would be great, but its too much money and its not worth spending 18 hours travelling for a long weekend!

Another factor i have to bear in mind is my seasonal affective disorder. I'm told the slightest upset to your biological clock completely screws a SADs sufferrer for weeks, so crossing loads of timezones isn't going to be too wise in my situation!

Thanks for the ideas :D

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Prauge is a beautiful city, I saw the Rolling Stones there a few years ago, and spent a very interesting weekend there in 1985, the bridges and architecture are excellent.

I thouroughly recommend it.

Don't go to Dusseldorf.
  8. filmcutter macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    Portland, OR
    For a big city experience - Prague is great, Florence beautiful.

A little smaller - Nice is nice; although points off for rocky beach, sand is further along the coast.

For the best out-of-the-way spot - the Cinqueterra of Italy. This is where the Italians go to get away from all the tourists in Venice, Rome, etc. Five small towns (some with only one hotel) along the coastline of NW Italy, linked by a walking trail with spectacular views, and by train. Close to Pisa, but a world apart. Definitely the place to go to get away from it all.

Other nice places - Innsbruck, Salzburg, Munich. Venice is great, a bit expensive and very touristy, but worth a visit. Anywhere in Portugal - Porto, Aveiro, Lagos, Faro - it's all good!

Man, I have got to get back to Europe!!!
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well, you're English, so places like Barcelona and Madrid are out of the question despite Spain being relatively cheap. It sounds too touristy for you. Algarve in Portugal is also an English tourist destination, and Portugal is supposed to be cheaper than Spain is. Ibiza is too expensive, but you can go to the other Balaeric islands: Menorca, and the one that nobody ever remembers.......Formentera (sp?). Also, you can avoid the touristy cities in Spain, and you should see things that nobody bothered to see. Or go to semi-touristy cities like Salamenca, which isn't as busy as Barca or Madrid.

Or go to the Canary Islands. Yes, its another popular British tourist destination, but avoid Tenerife (sp?) and you should be fine. Go to another one of the islands or something.

St. Johann in Austria isn't expensive. Its actually an extreme sports village, and is very small and beautiful. Its a great way to spend 3 days or so, and you can take a train there from Prague or something.
  10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that its a 9 hour flight to new york from england. It took about 5:45 from new york to heathrow and 6:30 the other way when I visited england a few years ago.

I live 20 miles from New York city, so it's lost a lot of its "wow" factor for me, but its still an amazing place, especially for someone who's never been. And if you do go, DON'T pay for one of those rip-off "Big Apple Tour" buses...i can't believe people shell out money to be driven around manhattan in an open topped double decker bus...there's a good subway system and all the sights can easily be walked to from a station. Plus, its the more "new york" way to do it.
  11. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
  12. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    If you've not been to Paris or Barcelona then there are two wonderful cities. But you said you wanted somewhere a bit different, so I would like to recommend Berlin.

I had a very good long weekend in Berlin a couple of years ago. If you are interested in history at all, then this is a truly unique city where so much has happened. The city is still changing dramatically today as the former Eastern parts are redeveloped.

You can still see parts of the Berlin Wall which have been kept as a monument as well as other museums and tributes to the sad events of this city.

There are lots of nice places to eat and drink and have a good time as well. I can certainly recommend a few unusual pubs and bars, I can check the names if anyone is interested.

The transport around the city is great (tubes, trains and trams), and you can get there cheaply and easiily (Easyjet from Stansted).
  13. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Iceland.... cos they're all mad as hatters up there... it ain't cheap, well beer isn't... and it only takes a few hours to fly there, but it's cool as...

So I think you should go to Iceland... ;)