my first website...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by howard, Apr 11, 2006.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I just made it this morning with iWeb. I find iWeb completely awesome and stupid at the same time. First of all, I can't stand designing web pages, I hate stupid looking web pages and I don't have the time or patience (or skills) to make a page that I like. With iWeb, i was able to get close enough in a very short amount of time... very short, a few hours. I'd previously spent days designing horrible sites that I would end up scrapping.

Anyway, some of the pesky things about iWeb, and if anyone has tips please share!
    1. How can you change the color of hyperlinked text? I liked using shapes cause they could be any color.
    2. how to change the layout, colors, form, of the blogs? I found one that I think is ok for now, but its not perfect, and I can't change it!!

Anyway, let me know what you think, of the site, and music, (just offering a small random samplings now- bigger projects are in the works)

http://web.mac.com/nbschafer

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Pretty good for your first time. The site is rather plain, but easy to navigate. I liked your disclaimer on the home page. I'm a web developer by profession and I sometimes feel like putting that on my sites!
    By the way, I really enjoyed your music samples on your site (the classical ones). Are you a composition student? I am impressed especially with your orchestration skills. I minored in composition in college. Maybe I'll do something with it someday...

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

Thanks!

I really like plain/minimal sites. in fact sites that I tried before were completely text and grey scale I just like that look a lot.

I'm sure this site will flesh out as I can get/think of more content to add, but i'm going to try and keep the simple minimal nature of it. and at least I have color this time.

as for some of the comments i put on the site, sometimes I like to add a little sense of humor to things. i actually had a bit few more, but removed them cause not every gets it, and just thinks your crazy instead.

also, more thanks to the comments about the music. I graduated a year ago with a major in Contemporary Writing and Production. I compose for quite a few different genres, as you'll see as I hopefully keep this site updated.

(also just added a comments area to the blog/news section)

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

sigh, stupid winblows exploder,

I just was checking out my site on a pc with ie and saw that all the buttons on top were not working. I then found out that png's don't work on ie... is this correct?? so basically whatever you make on iweb is going to not be viewable by ie? or 80+% of internet viewers?? this is ridiculous, i mean ridiculous that ie doesn't see pngs, and ridiculous that iweb would function this way.

any ideas how to get around this?

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's png TRANSPARENCY that doesnt work in ie. the images display fine; the links just don't.
    i wish i knew why, though. sorry.

6. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

none of my buttons on top (which were made using the square shapes in iweb) are transparent, yet they are invisible when view on ie.

7. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

get ready to dive into the world of CSS and HTML...

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it works in 7 at least, but the links don't :)

Attached Files:

• ie.GIF
      ie.GIF
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  9. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

..yeah, it was ie 6 that didn't display the images.

is there a quick fix for this?

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The surfer babe was a nice touch. :)

It looks fine in Firefox on a PC.