my folding output will be down for a couple of days, and then back up to full force!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by twoodcc, Apr 1, 2010.

1. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i hope that title isn't too long.

anyway, i'm finally getting out of this place and going back to my apartment tomorrow. so right now i have basically no folding output, but will get everything back up when i get back.

i found out from a friend that my power did go out a day after leaving to come here. i had everything setup and running perfect when i left, and bam! the power flickers and everything went down. i almost wanted to drive 14 hours back!

but instead i got another i7 system, which gives me 3 total. i should have them up and running hopefully by saturday.

i should be good for at least 70-75 PPD. i've been having problems with one of my i7 rigs, so only 2 of them will be doing the bigadv units until i have time to work on it.

but it still should be my best output yet.

2. macrumors 6502

3. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

Thanks. I should be there tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

4. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well things aren't looking too good. i got here, but the air is broke! it's like 84 degrees in here, at almost midnight! :eek: and i don't have all my systems up either.

5. macrumors 6502

Looks like your production has started again, great. Also Designed is back after a little hiatus, and Lizardking has crunched a bigadv again after a long pause too, and Whiterabbit production is as high as ever. We could be raking in some serious numbers this week :eek:

If Apple release 12 cores, I might splurge if the team is cranking too!

6. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

Yeah I have my gpu's are up right now, and I have one bigadv rig going, but i lost a unit last night -about 18% was done. Hopefully this one works.

I got the air fixed, so it's not 85 degrees anymore. I might get to setup my new system here soon.

Yeah hopefully we have a good week as a team this week. We'll see.

Now I'd love to see you get a 12 core system!

7. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

Glad you are back home and getting going again! Yes it seems we should get our numbers up again :)

8. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

Thanks! I don't have things exactly like i want, but i will soon. It just may take a week or so

9. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well it looks like i won't get any bonus for this bigadv unit i'm working on. my computer keeps losing it's connection (in windows, it disables my LAN connection, and i can't re-enable it). so i then have to restart the computer.

so i guess it's from the heat. i might have to run -smp 7 on the next one

10. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

That's too bad, yeah heat is bad.

11. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

Yeah. I guess it's heat. I have two gtx 260's going and an i7 over clocked to 3.5 ghz. But it was working great 2 months ago

12. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

2 months ago it was zero degrees f outside in Iowa... cooling wasn't so much of a problem then :p

The 2 systems I moved to the basement seem to be ok and the basement is staying within a tolerable temp range. All of that concrete is keeping the air cool enough for now. I think my folding power bill is higher than I thought it was; like maybe $150-$200 a month. Despite the extra cold winter my heating bill may have been quite low with all of the extra heat from the folding systems. I should have a better idea in a couple of months :eek:

13. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

Kind of makes me appreciate the reasons why a data center would go with more cores per system and multiple virtual servers per system to reduce the electric bill.

14. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

Yeah you do have a point about the heat. It's been folding good lately, so I might get a little bonus on this unit. We'll see

15. macrumors 6502

Looks like we are getting close to our likely max output of 270-280k ppd... Nice. Let's see if Apple wants to release new Mac pros soon now.

16. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

hopefully my output will go up next week.

yeah, it looks like mac pros aren't coming til wwdc or close to it, but hopefully sooner

17. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

I'm doin' all the ppd I can without spending more money on hardware right now:D I would like to replace 5 machines with a new Mac Pro when they come out (4 really slow and my current Mac Pro). It's h**l waiting for Apple sometimes :eek: Hurry up Apple!! :apple:

What I want: Mac Pro with 12-16 cores, 24-32 threads, 2-3Ghz, 24 gigs of fast ddr3 ram, same case design outside plus usb 3.0, inside room for 3-4 2.5 inch ssd's in raid 0, 4 3.5 inch sata 2.0 or 3.0 (interchangable) and support for 3 GTX 295/480 cards.

Price $4-5k I'm not asking too much am I?

What I really want: Mac Pro with 64 cores, 256 threads, 3-4Ghz, 32 gigs of fast memristor memory ON CHIP, 64 gigs of ddr3 ram, and a few other things in an anodized aluminum case :p

18. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang. yeah, not asking for much huh :cool:

but don't be surprised if you don't get half of that, and it costs $6k.

this is one of the main things that bothers me about apple. i just don't understand why they wait so long to update the mac pros like this. at least announce something

19. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

I know... but I can always hope :p

It used to be worse when we had to wait for Motorola/IBM to produce enough chips, there were almost always delays in production because of yield issues or something else.

20. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah that's true, but now what's the excuse? the processors are out now!

21. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

I know!! Last year they had the Mac Pro out before the cpu's were even announced by Intel!

22. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know! i don't know what's going on these days. apple is only concerned with iphone and ipad, but developers gotta have systems to build the apps with!

and not just that, apple has a market for mac pros. but it will only continue to get smaller if they ignore it

23. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Mate if you think thats bad, I'n holding out for a Mac mini and there has been no rumors for it! Would love to see a intel i5 :D

24. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i hear ya. an i5 mac mini would be very nice. but again, i doubt it will happen this year, if ever

25. thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm about to leave my apartment tonight again for the next 2 months. this time i'll only be 2 hours away, so i can come back on the weekends if something messes up again. we'll see.

oh, and i had to restart my VM before i left to take out the -oneunit flag, and guess what, i lost that unit! it was 96% complete!

i'm so mad right now :mad: