Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
My friend is looking to buy a laptop, and I'm trying to persuade him to purchase a MacBook rather than a Sony Vaio.

He's seen this model, FS515H (£635 on laptopsdirect.co.uk) as well as

this one, FS515B (which he can buy for £747 at Micro Mart in Brussels - he works in Brussels).

He seems to be keen on being able to get a 15" TFT for this price range (and he's heard that the Sonys have really good screens). I've explained about the superior processor in the current MacBooks, the additional elements like built-in bluetooth, iSight etc.

I think the fact that he could install Bootcamp on there should help to ease his "oh my goodness, I'm afraid that I've never used a Mac before" feelings, but as a friend, I feel that it's my responsibility to show him that the stuff he does with a computer (watching DVDs, some use of MS Office, listening to music, writing a blog) could probably be done as well if not better on a Mac.

Anyone have any additional arguments/advice?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
nickelbackmac said:
Buy one for him as an "early b-day present". He can't argue with that.

Hehe, funny thing is, my mate's high-earning lawyer (hence the fact that he's working in Brussels), but he's set himself a budget of £750. Guess that's why he's financially secure, and well, some of us aren't!

JosiahPB

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Grinnell
I agree, if he has one in his hands, he won't give it up. Now...for how to get him to re-pay you is the tricky thing..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.