My friend's iPad won't show up in iTunes (PC user, XP, 2004 machine)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jamesryanbell, Sep 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

Mar 17, 2009
    When he plugs it in via USB (it is 2.0), all of the drivers seem to be loaded just fine (Windows recognizes it), but it never shows in iTunes. Also of note, when he plugs it in and it's on, it merely says "Not Charging". Weird. I've never seen one do that. Would that prevent it from showing up (low powered USB port?). He's using iTunes 10 and Windows XP.

Just thought you guys may be able to help him out. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2009
    It has been my experience that all Windows PC's except ASUS and MSI with special drivers show the not charging notification. As for why the iPad doesn't show up, did you try a different computer? Different cable? Reboot ipad? Uninstall itunes and reinstall?
  3. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2010

I had the same issue when I purchased my first iPod Touch.

Try one of the following solutions [I can't recall which one I used].

After going through the steps I didn't have any further issues when connecting all the other Apple devices I purchased later on.

It says "Not charging" because there isn't enough power in that particular USB port. It's a fairly common phenomenon [the iPad requires a little more power to charge it's battery when compared to all the other Apple devices]
  4. thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 17, 2009
    Haven't tried a different computer yet, but he did try rebooting the computer and the iPad to no avail. Also, he did uninstall/reinstall itunes.

Trying another computer is probably next on the list.

I guess I was just curious if not getting enough power to charge the ipad on a USB port would make iTunes not see it.

I'll update when he calls. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
  5. macrumors 68040

Mar 11, 2009
    Does he have the latest version of iTunes? iPad won't charge with the screen on either.
  6. macrumors 65816

Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    Charging is not related to it showing up in iTunes. As far as I know, they all show not charging (including mine) when plugged into USB.
  7. macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2010
    United Kingdom
    This doesn't help your main problem, but if you want to charge via USB, download the Asus Ai Charger software. I have an Asus laptop and it works fine, gut I believe it works on other PCs too.
  8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 17, 2009
    Mine shows charging when plugged in via USB. Honestly, I've never seen one that doesn't until his.

Also, to answer the post above this one, yes he has iTunes 10.