My G4 17" PowerBook Died!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Spizzo, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I was using my "new" (almost a month old) powerbook the other day to watch a DVD while on the ferry. I shut it down, put it away, and when i went to start it up later that night, I got no response. So i tried AC power, and got nothing. I unpluged it, took out the battery, and the power meter lights on it were not working. I've tried resetting the power management, removing RAM, and still get nothing.
    When it's pluged in (AC Power) i do get the caps lock light to light up, the num lock light doesnt do anything, but i think it's the F5 key that turns on the num lock light. I've talked to apple, and have my computer all packed up to ship out on monday, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone can think of anything i might have overlooked?
    I'd hate to be away from my Mac for 7-10 business days over something stupid.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You don't happen to own a defibrillator do you?

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, but my experience sending stuff to Apple has been extremely speedy. I had mine back in less than 48 hours. Best of luck to you.

Cheers.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Just make sure you keep notes on the PB and Battery serial numbers (I assume the battery has one) so you know if they switch anything on you.
    If you don't have Applecare then this may be a reality check moment as well.

4. Damien macrumors regular

it doent matter, its only a month old! its still under the 1 year free warrenty

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Sure, but this is a reality check that things do go wrong for no apparent reason...

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well u did all the usual fixes
    so yeah just send it in

sorry to hear its crapping on u already

7. shrimp macrumors newbie

Same issue

Hi, so what happened with your powerbook ? I have the same problem. Just didnt restart after I shut it down and it took so long for it to shut down. I even tried pressing the CONTROL + OPTION + P + R which brought me to the open firmware page where it read:

Illegal instruction at
    %SRR0: 00014000
    %SRR1: 01400000

Am a bit worried to send it in to Apple coz I do have some critical information on there. If anyone has any ideas on how I can format the HD from the firmware page (I cant even get into that one anymore)...

Thanks

8. tliptak macrumors regular

It double posted for some reason. Answer is below.

Hope it helps

9. tliptak macrumors regular

IF you have access to another mac you should try Firewire Target Disk mode. You connect a firewire cable to both mac's firewire port. Restart both macs and hold the T key on your powerbook. You will get a firewire logo on you powerbooks screen if it works. It will show up on your other mac like a harddrive so you can move stuff and delete stuff ect. It worked for me when my iBook wouldn't boot a while ago.

Hope this help.

10. shrimp macrumors newbie

Thanks Tliptak, strangely enough i tried this several times before and it did not work. Told myself after reading your post to try it one last time and it did work. Once I've cleared all the sensitive data, I'll just simply use the Disk Aid stuff and see if I can find the problem from there...
    Thanks again.
    :)

11. tliptak macrumors regular

Great glad i could help. Also after i backed up everything on the ibook it booted up for some reason. I don't know why but it did. Has been running problem free since.

Good luck with everything and if you need more help just post or AIM me :p