My G4 wont find a bootdrive...HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, Apr 19, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, yesterday I swapped one hardrive from a g4 400MHZ and a G4 500MHz. I took out the main drive from the 500MHz and put it in the 400, and i took the 80GB Master from the 400 and put it in the same spot as the 500.

The g4 500MHz has 4 hardrives in it and one controller card. The problem is only with the 500, so forget about the other machine.

Ok, on the controller card in the G4 500, there are 2 IDE ports. I have two hardrives connected to each port. On each of the two cables, one drive is set to master, the other is set to slave (through jumper settings).

I boot up, and it starts booting up not off the drive I had just put in, but off another drive in the computer that had OS 9 on it.

I put in my OS X Jag CDs, and begin to reformat that drive. I reinstall X, and it boots fine. Once I am in X, I change my startup disk to the original drive I put in my computer.

I boot up...no problem. Now I want to reformat my main disk. I then go to disk utility and erase everything on the drive that I had just installed X on.

So now I have 4 drives. 3 with no OS, and one with OS X. I copy over my main files to the drive that had just been erased, and then I boot from the X CD.

I install OS X, and the machine asks to reboot. I do, and then that screen that is white with the gray apple logo sits there.

The black circle is spinning for about a minute, and then the gray apple changes to a gray circle with a slash in the middle.

I reboot again holding down option, same thing happens.

I boot off the X CD and open disk utility there. It is telling me that I have two master drives (one is the drive i erased the contents of, the other is the one i just installed X on). The other 2 drives are slaves.

I try installing X again (I use the erase everything each time), and still no go.

I shut down the CPU, and unplug all IDE Cables except for the one with the drive I want to use.

Still, no go. I have tried changing jumper settings, swapping cables, everything, but I get the gray apple slash *of death* each time.

Could someone PLEASE help me out?

2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Drives

The drives are all for sure working too.

There are 3 IBM 35GB drives, and the one that I just put in is an 80GB IBM Drive.

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Fixed, well sorta...

Ok, so this is where I am at. On the controller card, there is IDE 1 and IDE 2. IDE 1 had the hardrive with all my files on it, and another drive. IDE 2 had the hardrive i want to be my main, and another hardrive.

I put my main hardrive on IDE 1, and unplugged everything else. I then booted from the X CD, and tried installing again.

It worked, but for some reason when it boots up it has a big delay at the white screen with the apple logo, and a gray screen before that.

I am sketchy about plugging in my other drives, I dont know what will happen. But i guess its the only way I will ever get my files back, so I will keep you posted.