My G4 won't turn on...HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graphiqdezine, Jan 30, 2006.

1. graphiqdezine macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I recently painted my office and now that I reassembling everything, I went to hook up my G4 (1.25) and when I press the power button, it comes on, then dims back out. I try this repeatedly, but nothing. No drive spin up, no fans, no nothing.

The light on my cinema display stays on but dim only after I try to turn it on from there.

Help guys.

Thanks.

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

This often occurs on a Cube due to a faulty VRM. If it's a regular PowerMac, however, then there is no VRM. It may well be the logic board, however, or the switch board. Check the switch board first, because it would be cheaper to replace. Try to turn on the machine by shorting the appropriate wires. If that still won't boot the machine, then it's likely the logic board. In which case, she's dead, Jim.

3. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

What model G4? I am assuming PM given the seperate display, but don't want to assume too much. There are some troubleshooting tips here for G4 PMs: http://www.power-mac-g4.com/ - go down the page a bit. I've found some helpful hints there.

4. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I do this and what does it look like?

It is a PowerMac.

5. MDodd02 macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem, so I too would like to know how to do this.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Before replacing motherboard parts, consider replacing the battery - 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium, should be about US$10

7. MDodd02 macrumors newbie

Just the battery that is connected to the curcuit board inside of the tower?

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try the PMU reset on the motherboard. If you tell us what model we can tell you where the button is.

9. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the PMU reset, worked like a charm.

On the G4 1.25 tower it is located on the back of the motherboard near the right side (opposite the battery).

I reset it, plugged it in, and to my delight, loud zen.

10. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Excellent to hear - did you find that on the G4 site?

11. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

sure did.

You'd think the guy could handle creating more than one page rather than an endlessly scrolling one. Good resource none-the-less.