My g5 arrived with bonus goodies

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by w00tmaster, Jul 27, 2004.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Well, it seems after all the problem I had with Apple, they managed to make up for them in one swoop. My refurb Rev. A dual 1.8 PM arrived today, and although it was only supposed to have 512 memory, it had a gig(2 512 sticks, I peeked inside) had I known that I wouldn't have gone out and bought an extra 512 of memory! Oh well. The hd is also 250 gig instead of the default 120 or 160(can't remember which).
    In my eyes, Apple has redeemed themselves.
    Alas the video card was still the default FX 5200 :( but you cannot win them all!

2. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Luckily they didn't downgrade to the ATI card!

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

out of curiosity, what video card does ATi offer that you would consider a downgrade froma 5200 ultra? the radeon 7000?

4. w00tmaster thread starter macrumors regular

5.1 audio question

ok, now I have a quick questioin, I bought a cheapie 5.1 speaker set, and there are 3 different ends, 1 for the center, 1 for the front 2 and one for the back 2 I am guessing, but only 1 input on the g5, what do I need to get to have the speakers play surround sound on the g5, I am anxiously awaiting playing Kill Bill on my new system!

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You need to have an optical (toslink) connector from the glowing out port on the back of your g5 to the identical optical port on your speakers.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, it's either upgrade the speaker set to one that takes optical in, or buy something like the M-Audio Sonica Theater, which will work nicely.

Attached Files:

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or, for the same price, get an audio card like the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. No, I don't work for M-Audio. But they make decent products.

Attached Files: