My G5 is arriving this Firday.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by thatwendigo, Oct 8, 2004.

1. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I just thought I would share.

Ordered today, upon DOA of the frankensteinian Sawtooth:

PowerMac G5
    Dual 1.8ghz
    256MB PC 3200 (1GB Kingston dual-channel on order from a third party, for a total of 1.25GB)
    80GB SATA (slotting in 120GB SATA we already have)
    Radeon 9600XT
    Combo Drive

My ship date is October the Fifteenth.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

3. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

That is awesome dude. You wil be very pleased with that machine i have one quite similar. Enjoy the glory of the G5!!!!! :D

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I second the motion. :D congrats thatwendigo nice machine but it wont game like my new Aurora :eek: just kidding ;)

(edit) no fx5200 interesting............

5. thatwendigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

You're right. It won't game like an Athlon 64 with a 6800GT, because I didn't get either of those and don't have access to DirectX. Oh well. It's a huge leap up in power overall, and, best of all... The motherboard isn't dead. :D

The price difference for the 9600XT was $50. I figured it was worth it.

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

"Dead on Arrival" of a Sawtooth? How does that make sense?

7. thatwendigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

It doesn't, really. I was tired and up far, far too late when I posted that, so I threw out the first semi-coherent thought that came to mind. We've had the machine basically since the Sawtooth was introduced, and it was quite active when it first arrived.

Ignore my occasional bouts of enthusiasm. :p

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

have to say a big well done... it will be great and much better than the emac,

oh

:rolleyes:

nearly forgot ;)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Was that the 2001 model? What was it that died? Sorry to hear about your loss. Are you completely without a Mac? I'm sure that you will enjoy the G5.

10. thatwendigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I had a Sawtooth G4 that had been turned into a conglomeration of parts that were meant to keep from having to buy a new machine. Over the life of the machine, it had gained a new processor (1.4ghz), a PCI SATA controller and spare HD, and a GeForce 3. It started crapping out when the Quantum Fireball ATA66 drive went from bad bearings, and it looks like the motherboard followed shortly afterwards.

The G5 that's coming is a Rev B dual 1.8 box, tweaked in such a way that I get what I consider the most bang for the buck. I already have two macs with SuperDrives, so I cut that down to a combo and can just buy and load in a different one later on if it really feels necessary. It's got the mid-level choice for graphics, with a 9600XT, at a mere $50 upgrade, and I ordered a gig of matched-pair Kingston RAM from a third party for $170.

Total cost, with RAM: $2,090.