My G5 Rumor

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sparkleytone, Feb 28, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

So far all I have seen the g5 being mentioned as is an embedded microprocessing solution for things such as routers/etc. Maybe the G5 as we know it is not meant for desktops at all. I could see a new hybrid laptop/personal device running at ridiculous speeds that would create its own market. Think Newton^3 hehe. A truly revolutionary, new concept utilizing the raw power of the G5 in its original intended form, with wireless internet built in using the new cell standards and Quicktime4 and OS X being the driving technologies.

I know it won't happen, but damn. Then they truly could license the OS to Sony and run only on their motherboards using AMD only processors. What a wet dream. OS X on an AthlonXP or even a SledgeHammer. Okay time to go clean up.

2. BlowJobBilly macrumors newbie

this is hopefully not going to happen, because it would be a shame if os x would run on a pc.

apple is apple, on a true mac, forever hopefully.

**** windows/ microsoft, **** intel & sony

3. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

how is that a "PC"?

its a future Sony machine running on future AMD-based hardware, controlled by OS X.

there's nothing Wintel about that.

4. tortus macrumors member

I agree with the first post

Apple has always been about "OS first, hardware second." In doing so, Apple puts the user ahead of the nuts and bolts of the machine. They will continue to use this caveat until the day Apple dies (knock on wood.) Hardware is hardware, but it is as only as good as the software that utitlizes it. Hardware is also completely useless if you your Operating System is unstable and confusing. Another thing about hardware, it doesn't contain the soul of Apple within it. Hardware within a G4 comes from multiple manufactures. There is nothing Apple about (not including the casing designs. these are very Apple.) It is the Operating System that is Apple. Hardware is meant to be hidden from the user in the realm of Apple. Apple happens to believe in the architecture of the PowerPC. They are damn good processors. But, in the future, if Apple decides to provide an OS for other platforms, it will still be OS X, XI,.....XXX just running on different hardware. And if you need to be coaxed into believing you are using an Apple computer, someone can just cram that x86 architecture into one of the "pretty" cases.

5. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

everyone is pretty much moving away from x86 architecture anyways. its too limited and has been since pentium MMX. the days of ingenuity lengthening the life of an obsolete technology are numbered.

6. theranch macrumors 6502

quicktime 4?

Did I read quicktime 4? Does anyone even use that anymore? Is that a typo?

7. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

8. unclepain macrumors member

handheld

Why can't Apple create a handheld device with a micro hard drive installed running a full version of OSX? From what I've seen it can't really be for a lack of demand. Every thread I've seen has people wetting themselves over the thought of this device. The iWalk hoax set the internet on fire and basically put spymac.com on the map. Is Apple really that adamant about not entering this market? I mean, I don't even need a handheld, but I was all ready to plunk down 600 bucks on an Apple handheld before the MWSF show. What you guys think?

9. tortus macrumors member

Apple PDA or something of the sort

Unlikely. The market for handhelds has gone down and has only been paralleled by the recession (which we are beginning to climb out of.) Handheld devices are a luxury item at this point. Meaning, the average Apple user does not need a $600 dollar device that could have gone toward rent or food. This is just conjecture, but I think we are going to see a lot happening with the iPod and the rest of the exisitng digital hub.

Archos has a portable MP3 player with an LCD screen that can show pictures and mpegs.

http://www.archos.com/us/products/product_jbmm.html

I could see iPod going in this direction, but this is only a guess. The name iPod suggests more than an mp3 player. It is a pod. A portable device for portable media.

Apple is concentrating on the digital hub and the development of the powermac g5. They are in the process of playing catch up, and they aren't going to accomplish this by coming out with kitschy handheld devices. In my opinion, we aren't going to see a handheld any time soon but expect something else either this year or beginning of next.