My game is finished :)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Here we are! http://satansam.co.uk/blog/?p=180 Finally finished the game this afternoon. Took me ages to upload, sorta crashed every so often... silly router.
    The New Satan Sam is done :)

forgot to mention (if you haven't spotted my previous posts); It's PC only for now.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Nice... Look forward to playing it soon (I'm on my Mac right now). :)

Until then, care to elaborate more on your process and inspiration? What's it about?

3. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

4. Marvy macrumors regular

Wow! That looks cool! I'll download it once I have time. Did you post it at MacUpdate? You get alot of attention there.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i think your response was quite rude. if you have feedback, the least you could do is be polite and specific about what could be improved. the op took the time to share something with macrumors members that probably took a great deal of time and effort - there's no need to dismiss it out of hand like this.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Second post, and its a troll. Tsk, tsk tsk. You didn't even bother to spell your trolling correctly... Troll :rolleyes:

Again, great work jimmie, I look forward to playing it...

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't worry about that Chris bloke. He seems the kind of person who goes for the uber latest 3D, if it isn't good enough he won't bother regardless of gameplay. Those kind of people who pretend pixel art doesn't exist yada...

Details! It's a big platform game, similar size to Mario World (least it takes as long to complete, or 4 hours to me). You play as Sam. An amnesiac who has no idea why he's been spared by this big army. You basically progress through levels, clearing each one of enemies and move onto the next. It's pretty addictive according to my beta testers and has a nice difficulty curve.

It has a co-op too, with a rocket-launching mammal. And loads of weapons/combo's for kicking the armies ass.

All the graphics are mine, painstakingly drawn pixel by pixel. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

The music was done in Garageband. Gotta love that app. As I got used to it I started to make my own melodies but don't have the time and effort to go back and change the earlier tracks.

EDIT: hold up!
    is what Chris69 said about my game previously... I'm lost. I'm very very lost.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I'll definately give this a try on my windows machine when I get home tonight. Looks great!

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Too lazy to look at other posts... when is this going to be out for the Mac?

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

11. noelister macrumors 6502

I started playing it earlier but I had to get some work done. It was quite fun. Brought me back to the days of Megaman. very good work.

On another note* how does one develop a game like this?

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Hopefully soon! A new version of the program I use to code this is coming out soon, they say it will have an OSX exporter. I won't be buying this app but a mate of mine is going to recompile it himself. So... hopefully... soon? I'd much rather play it on my PowerBook than my laptop any day.

13. crachoar macrumors 6502a

A bit glitchy, and I find it hard to control. It's pretty cool though.

I end up losing all of my lives within the first five minutes because of the weird jump system.

I'll give it another go later, but you might want to considering a more simplified jump and combat system for your next project. Check out 'Cave Story' if you haven't already. It's extremely simplified, but it's still an excellent game.

Personally, I think that if you're going to make a game where you'r jumping and bouncing around all over like this, there shouldn't be the standard Mario 'Pit Levels', where the objective is to kill things and landing on platforms. I think it would be more better if it were done in the fashion of 'Metal Slug'. Lots of enemies, tight control, automatic close combat melee, etc.

By the way, the left side of my game is slightly cut off. Are you planning on adding screen resolution controls?

P.S. 3D games are terrible.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You wrote a PC game and bring it here? WTF? Seriously, just kidding, congrats. Now next time write it Mac-first and make a crappy Windoze port of it when you get bored...

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Glitchy?! How? I combed that game for months, more so the earlier levels which, to memory, have no bugs. Tell me! I could do an update to 1.1 :) *angry at self*

Weird jump system? jump once-jump. jump twice- double jump. down+fire in the air- unlimited mini jump. spin into enemy- thrown in opposite direction. there's no deceleration in the air (a la, Sonic and Cave Story).

Theres a piece of command line to add to shortcuts or whatever that takes away the fullscreen. I think its "-nof" or something. But resolution itself is fixed at 320x200. The later levels have less pits, then they come back again. The first world really is a practice world, sorta getting used to movements and weapons.

16. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Im so gonna pirate your game.

Oops! just kidding:p

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

You're not kidding! If you do i might get more hits hehe.

Whats a good sneaky way to get people to download stuff. Like on Kazaa and BT stuff? Just I'm always up for more players.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

He can't. The program he uses is Windows-only.

What does it have to do with Satan?:confused: Just curious about the name.

Geez! What app do you use for that? I've never been good at pixel art but never considered it as a usable form for a real game...

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

the Satan bit... You'll have to play the game to find that out. I suppose all will be revealed! At about level 70 I think. You meet up with somebody who proves rather useful.

I actually used the games software built in graphics editor. Its uber basic, but thats all you need with pixel art. I tried Pixen on OSX for a while, it was good for some graphics but it was a little slow compared to the simple PC app. no doubt it will get faster and better in the future :)

20. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

woah whahaah aahahaa wHAAAAAA?

you MADE a game?

HOLY ****ING ****!!!!!

I Didn't know private people could just sit down and make a game!!!!!!!

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

www.idevgames.com

All creating games takes is a bit of knowledge and a lot of patience. And a ton of creativity.

22. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Nice, but i'm still not clear on how the heck you can get a game going. You can't talk to the computer, and tell it what to do, because it doesn't understand english. You can't say "Red Mountains in backround, green trees in valley etc".

For instance, in Doom 3... they didn't punch up some code, and all of a sudden there was a Hell Knight on the screen.

What exactly is the process??

23. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Downloading now - that's my Saturday sorted out. :D

Have been looking forward to this for ages, since you posted the screenshots & movie a while back. Congrats on completing it.

24. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Have read your previous threads too, everything looks very nice! Too bad there is no mac version, I do not have any pcs around to try it.

Are you planning to make one anytime soon? Or would that be difficult?

25. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

I'm about to try it through VPC on my PowerMac G5.

Ill tell you how it goes.

Edit: Weird... I can't get past the 'Choose Save file' dialog. Can't click on anything??