My girlfriend is in love with her mac

Discussion in 'Community' started by sedination, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sedination macrumors newbie

My girlfriend used to be a total technophobe and had some Compaq Duron with Windows XP. She HATED using computers and constant problems with spyware and viruses. Last June I bought her an eMac 1.25Ghz and I knew she loved her Mac but I didn't know the true extent of that until today.

I decided to play a trick on her by running a Live CD version of Ubuntu Linux on her eMac and told her I had deleted everything off her computer and had installed Linux instead (I did say that I had backed up her documents though). She quickly rushed down to the computer and saw that Mac OS X Tiger was gone and she immediately turned angry. She started bashing the keyboard as I tried to have her try Firefox (instead of Safari), the GIMP (instead of Photoshop) and Openoffice.

I knew I had gone too far when she started to cry so I told her that I was playing a joke, rebooted in Tiger and thankfully was forgiven (with the condition that I get her a chai latte at Starbucks).

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Wow. Some practical jokes are funny. This sure ain't one of them.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I would be furious! I am sure you meant well with that joke but I don't know many people that would find it funny. {{shrugs}}

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

It's no longer a joke if she cries. She deserves more than just a chai latte; you should willingly submit to a brutal physical and mental pummelling. Buuuutt.... you did buy her that eMac. So perhaps that makes up for the less-than-stellar joke :p

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah.. if my when-I-find-me-one boyfriend (or anyone for that matter) booted Linux onto my PB, told me that he had baleeted OS X... ooohh... *anger*

He'd be in the doghouse for weeks.
    PUNK.

(I'd demand a shiny new PowerMac G5 for retribution. Hehe.)

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

My girlfriend (now fiance) loves her Mac that I got her with a PASSION. If I pulled that on her though I would probably get cut. You got off sooooo easy. :p

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

It better be a venti (sp) ;)

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I let my husband use my PowerBook very infrequently, and even when he is "allowed" to, I allow it very begrudgingly. [​IMG]
    he isn't really "bright" enough to pull a prank like that on me but if he did, I'd be really pissed off. I'd go and "prank" him by letting him think I burned one of his favorite overpriced hunk-a-wood basses (flippin musician ;)) that is about the same depth of the prank lowness.

EEEEK!

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Nice joke. My wife could give a damn what her computer is running, as long as soapoperadigest.com renders properly :).

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

unfortunately my fiance is a complete idiot when it comes to computers, so it would be too easy to do things like this to her -_-, she isn't the brightest bulb in the world. Oh well i will just enjoy *pretending* to delete the jRock off her computer. she will probably beat me thou :/

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Mmmmm, buddy you better hope she never figures out how to log into MacRumors...

;)

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

heh i kid around with her a lot about computers, she knows she isn't that smart with them, I have to help her with the computer all the time. I am turning her to an iBook when she starts going to college.

13. applefan macrumors regular

sedination,

How did you get her computer to boot from the live CD? I can't get it to work on my Powerbook thought the Ubuntu site says it's compatible.

14. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

you got off quite easy, I'd say... but why did ou decided to play a prank like that? [oh, the horror]

15. fwhh macrumors regular

Ubuntu

To boot from the Ubuntu Live-CD, just restart your powerbook (with the disc in the drive) and after you hear the start-sound just press and hold the "c"-key. Works just fine on my powerbook. Sadly Airport isn't supported, so you have to use a wire to connect the internet.

16. applefan macrumors regular

How did you burn the CD? First I burned the .ISO download in the finder. That didn't work, so then I made .dmg with the disc utility. I burned that, but it didn't work either.

No intent to hi-jack the OPs topic here.

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No don't make an .dmg of the .iso, .iso IS a type of .dmg, so just use Disk Utility to burn the ISO on the CD like you would a .dmg.

18. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I guess someone is sleeping on the couch tonight!

19. applefan macrumors regular

20. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I know it can't be funny to find your OS wiped out, but it's not like it would take too long to restore it; and you say the girl was CRYING over it? Jeez, talk about exaggerating... :rolleyes:

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey now... we don't know ALL the details. Maybe, if it was a "special" week for her, her hormones are terribly outta whack. Plus, we women get awfully emotionally attached to some things. Hey, so do guys! Imagine if your gaming console's memory was wiped. So "psh" to you! :p

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Sounds like my wife, with games.yahoo.com :p I got her a thinkpad and told her to like it. :eek:

23. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Yeah, maybe you're right, but still, sedination says he told his gf he had backed everything up... I can understand cursing and maybe a kick in the butt, but that's it :D . About the memory card: if the info was backed up someplace, then I wouldn't give a damn... although I know from experience how much it sucks to get the memory card wiped out for real (serves me right for buying some no brand POS instead of the original).

24. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, that memory card thing happened to me too, with some off-brand psone memory card.
    lol, i can understand being upset, and i certainly would if someone told me that and i didnt know the difference, but im not sure i'd cry...

25. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

If you want to play another joke try opening a few apps, a finder window and maybe one of the menus then take a print screen (cmd + shift + 3) and set it as the background (turn dock hiding on)

Quite funny :p :rolleyes: YES I'm easily amused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.