my girlfriend out-geeks me

Discussion in 'Community' started by etoiles, Apr 4, 2004.

1. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

so I have been dating this cute asian girl for a while...who also happens to be pretty computer savvy (she runs linux and win2k on her home computer).

Last night at my place, she wants me to listen to some music she bought. She gets on my PB, asks if there is some sort of terminal and starts typing away esoteric commands at lightning speed: remotely accessing her computer and transferring a bunch of mp3's to my machine. Being more of a 'point and click' guy, I was VERY impressed.

She said she'd like to buy a mac now, too. Is she a keeper or what ? :)

2. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

soon she'll have you in a pink apron making her dinner...

What distro of linux does she run?

Jee
    Always pointing out the flaws ;)

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I have heard of many linux/unix/free bsd people switching over to mac. one of the salesmen at my local apple dealer is one of these people. its great for them because it has all the unix stuff they want plus its a kickass os with a great gui. all the linux gui's and such are quite ugly.

hold on to her :)

4. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

LOL
    I'll look out for those pink birthday/christmas presents...but she is a better cook than I am, so I guess I am safe on that front. And my bachelor pad is still Pottery Barn free (not sure for how long, though).

btw, I made it sound pretty bad when I said "she wants me to listen to some music she bought". She just wanted to 'share' some of the stuff she liked...there is no mind control thing going on here. Or is there ? :D

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When I realized how complete the Unix implementation in MacOS was, it was a strong supportive factor. I had no idea MacOS X had a terminal before I decided to buy my iBook. ;)

6. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

:D :cool:

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmm... i don't know if i'm quite as excited as everyone else... but if she's cute and nice, congrats... :rolleyes:

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmm... i don't know if i'm quite as excited as everyone else... but if she's cute and nice, congrats... :rolleyes:

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

/me giggles...no...laughs her ass off

really, its not too hard to do what she did...

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

This is coming from someone with the handle "übergeek" :D

But girl geeks still kick ass :cool:

Of course, there is more to a person, like personality, and stuff, but if all is good, I'd say stick with her, you've found a keeper...

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sounds like a keeper.

Why do I always wind up with the girls who ask me where the any key is? :confused:

13. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

my lady is pretty tech savvy - hell she can program a vcr faster than me :cool:

But the coolest thing about her.... she got me an ipod for my birthday :) kudos points galore :D Now she's questionning my new PB - but i keep telling her its her fault - i *had* to get the PB as its the ultimate accessory to the iPod she bought ;)

Jee

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

*groan* i have got to change my name

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

you're not looking in the right place. and a lot of girls you know might be smarter than you think ;)

16. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

übergeek is a computer savy and pretty asian girl also :) just look at her profile/website

i'm a white buddhist and spend a lot of time around all different races of asian people. I have gotten to the point where I only really find asian women pretty anymore.

my wife is chinese/swiss :)

when it comes to cad work she does well on computers but past that she doesn't know much. she just got a ibook G4 800 but runs cad on pc.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know if i enjoy a real tech savvy girl. i would rather have a girl who just appreciates the mac and knows how to use itunes or something. my last giirlfriend knew computers more than most girls. she learned some mac stuff from me. she ended up using the keychain to find out the password to my email, used my email to find out the password to my blog, my personal one. but thats ok, didnt really bother me cause she wasn't long term anyways. i ended up cheating on her anyways so im not with her, but oh well.

iJon

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Just my $0.02US

My wife isn't particularly computer-savvy, and I can't say it matters to me all that much. :) I think it'd be kinda boring if we were too much alike...

19. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

ha, my girlfriend is Chinese (American now) and I am Swiss ! And I am the one doing 3D stuff, not knowing much about what is going on behind the GUI...

20. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

it didn't look very difficult when she did it...but it is still beyond my skills. I could barely find the terminal app :D

are you laughing with me, or at me ? :eek: :)

21. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

thats so funny! I have to tell my wife this when she gets home :)

I forgot to mention that I am german/canadian. germany is right there next to the swiss hehe small world..

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

hehe both :p
    its in /applications/utilities.
    there are a bunch of ways you could do what she did...like scp i guess.

23. sethypoo macrumors 68000

When I first met my girlfriend, she knew not much more than how to run Word on a XP machine.....now, she's quickly catching up to my level of computer knowledge.

She's even saving up for a 15" PowerBook (remember my sig? ;)).

etoiles- she is a keeper.