Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marbleduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
So yeah. My girlfriend has an iMac G5, and she can't seem to remember her password. Somehow, I need to either create a new admin account, make her a new password, or wipe the computer and reinstall everything.

Here's what I've tried:
SUM. Doesn't work. It seems as though all key commands while starting up are disabled.

Resetting the PRAM+ changing the ram to access SUM. Doesn't work. Again, it seems as though key commands while starting up are disabled.

Starting from a disc. Didn't work. I was presented with a bluish screen with a big padlock on it, and a text box, presumably for a password.

Target disc mode to wipe it. Didn't work. Again, the screen with the padlock.

Anyone think they can help?

Again, it's an iMac G5 running Leopard.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Addendum Nov 22 2012:

Alright. I've been away for awhile since I haven't had much time to work on this problem, but anyway, here's what seems to be the matter:

No key commands for startup work. I've tried to reset the PRAM (after changing the amount of RAM beforehand, of course) multiple times, but nothing works. I tried resetting the PRAM on another computer just to see if I was doing it right, and yes, I was doing it right.

I also tried taking out the logic board battery for 30 mins to reset the PRAM, but it does not seem to have done anything.

Still would appreciate help.

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
1.REBOOT
2. Hold down COMMAND & S (AFTER YOU Hear THE CHIME)
3.AFTER TEXT PROMPT ENTER IN THESE TERMINAL COMMANDS (PRESS ENTER AFTER EACH LINE)

mount -w /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

****make sure to use spaces and capital letters EXACTLY as shown in the terminal commands above****

IT will not WORK if you don't type it EXACTLY like this

---
Courtesy of http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-disk?page=3

marbleduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Already told you, Single User Mode can't be accessed.

SUM= Single User Mode

marbleduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Alright. I've been away for awhile since I haven't had much time to work on this problem, but anyway, here's what seems to be the matter:

No key commands for startup work. I've tried to reset the PRAM (after changing the amount of RAM beforehand, of course) multiple times, but nothing works. I tried resetting the PRAM on another computer just to see if I was doing it right, and yes, I was doing it right.

I also tried taking out the logic board battery for 30 mins to reset the PRAM, but it does not seem to have done anything.

Still would appreciate help.

marbleduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Further notes: I started it up in open firmware mode (Cmd+Option+F+O on startup), told it to boot cdrom, still booted from the main drive. WTF.

marbleduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Anyone?

Also, I changed the amount of DIMMs several times, still won't let me reset the PRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.