My girls Ipod does not work with my computer...Why?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Williw122773, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Williw122773 macrumors newbie

I hooked my ipod to my computer and everything is fine.... however my girlfriend sold her computer when she moved in with me...
    She tried to hook her ipod mini up to my computer and it doesnt work.. so how does she make it so that it will work on my computer and she can use my itunes library? I am guessing she will need to reset her ipod? Can anybody help me? Thanks

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Is it recognised by the computer or does it not just sync?

If her iPod is in Mac format, it will not work on a PC (without special software).

3. Williw122773 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. when she got he ipod she set it up to her pc... I also have a pc. But when she plugs her ipod into my computer... with itunes running.. nothing happens.. its like it does not know its there... So i am guessing it has to do with never being set up on my PC... So how can I fix that? or better yet.. What do I do?
    thanks for the reply by the way!

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Hmm...I'm not sure...iPods aren't really my strong point :eek:

However, do both iPods have the latest iPod software updates? To update just plug them into a PC with which they work and the machines should take over.

Hope this helps :)

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Can you see the iPod mounted as a removable disk on your "My Computer"?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Has she got her music backed up anywhere else other than the iPod? (You should always keep a backup ;) ) otherwise have you tried the 5 R's?

Btw what version of iTunes was she using and what version are you using? (Help==>About iTunes if you aren't sure.)

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Did She De-Authorize The Computer She Sold?

Did she DE-Authorize the computer she sold before selling it? Can she go to the buyer and De-Authorize it now?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Although good advice, it shouldn't be an issue here though.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Older iPods that aren't up to date won't always be recognized by iTunes 7 which updates the iPod from within the new iPod tabbed interface. However since you have probably had the computer a while look on the computer in the program files under the start menu for a iPod updater or something of that sort. Apple may even still offer an version as a standalone download on their site. If you can restore her update/erase it but bring it to the software version of the updater, after it resets you should be able to plug it in and have iTunes recognize it. If all else fails take it to the genius bar at an Apple store and he them reset it.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Maybe it's time to just accept that the two of you are simply not compatible. ;)

That being said, check if Windows is recognizing an external drive when you plug it in.

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

First I'd check to make sure you can see the iPod mounted as a removable drive in "My Computer". Sometimes Windows assigns the same letter to different drives, but Windows Explorer or other programs can only access the first one with that letter, so the second one gets lost.