Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
It's a known bug. Probably resolved in fw 2.0.1.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...that-iphone-or-you-might-end-up-in-kazakhstan
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5813178/
Also, they've not nailed it down to a finder <-> iPhoto bug. The same happens for me when using Windows XP.

Agree completely - windows XP with picasa has the same problem so unlikely to be iPhoto or Finder problem. I posted this on a new thread (didn't see this one when searching).

-- Dan (posting from iPhone 3g 16g, black) =)

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Both my wife and I are just outside Portland (Tualatin) and we both got new 3G iPhones today.

We've having the same problem. GPS is putting us in Texas. It sounds like a different problem than the GeoTagging... It's not a hemisphere problem. It's a location problem.

googuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Portland, OR
Well, it only seems to think I'm in Houston when i'm at home. It tracked me fine when driving around Portland yesterday.

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
I should clarify that in terms of GPS and google maps - I have not had any problems, my problems appear to be hemisphere-related (I'm in Australia) and given the fact that the coordinates would be exactly right if they were in South/East (rather than North/West), I'm darn sure that the problem I am experiencing is with the geotagging implementation.

That said, I am accepting that others are having problems with their GPS in general (ie in terms of navigation etc.)

-- Dan =)

paulinhadrp

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Southfield, MI
Yeah... mine thinks I'm in Seattle, but I'm in Detroit.
It seems to be ok when I use Google Maps... I think the problem is Location Services... only the applications (like Showtime) think I'm in Seattle.. my directions on Google Maps are fine.

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I just spoke with someone at the "Genius Bar" at the Apple store in Tualatin. He said that it's a known problem in the Portland, Oregon area - an incompatibility with AT&T Edge and the iPhone 3G, and that the problem has been escalated. Turning off 3G puts me in the correct location, but that pretty much negates the reason for having a 3G iPhone.

I hope Apple and AT&T work out the problem soon.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Google Maps puts me in Pennsylvania

I was in Pennsylvania for a few days, and now my phone insists I'm still there! (I've actually been back in Minneapolis for a few days now.)

Wow -- it is 3G. I turned off 3G, the iPhone went back to EDGE, and now I have a glowing blue dot right over my house. Thanks for the info!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.