My great invention! Computer-spanning!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hob, Sep 3, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I've been inspired by the new iMac and my powerbook's monitor spanning!

How's this for an idea? Computer spanning!!

Basically, I was thinking how much I'd like to replace my big CRT monitor with a new iMac, but i'd end up have files spread across two systems, and maybe my sound system or some other peripheral connected to the wrong computer or something... so I came up with a good idea.

Building on existing solutions it would allow me to have my powerbook on my desk. The program would detect the iMac and then allow me to use the two computers from one mouse/keyboard. Simple things such as being able to click on one file on my iMac, then drag it accross the screen onto my powerbook and release it onto a folder over there, which would then initiate a network transfer to move the file.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this! What do you think? Good idea?

Hob

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like Teleport can do what hob was thinking of, kgarner. It's too bad Teleport's still a beta.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

how about synergy?
    or a kvm or something :p for the hardware solution.

as for software, i see some things that would need a little fiddling with. And having network drives and such eliminates my need to drag and drop, because most of the time that wouldnt be what i want.

Nevertheless, it is a VERY cool idea :)

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Kinda had a feeling there would be existing solutions, they all look pretty good...!