my group i-chat doesn't work

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by irene, Nov 30, 2003.

1. irene macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2003
    I am unable to initiate a group chat. When i invite 2 people who are on my buddy list to a group chat I get this message:

AIM error: unable to join chatroom "[my name and a number which is different each time]". The name may not be allowed, or the server may be having problems.

I know that i have been invited to a group chat but I did not receive the invite while the others in the group did. I am able to initiate single chats with buddies.

I use ichat AV version 2.0 All my buddies use the same ichat

2 of us use MAC OS X version 10.2.8. I'm one of the 2. The 3rd uses OS X 3.1

any ideas?

2. DavidOSuk macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2003
    Montreal, QC
    My mother posted the message above, to make it clear, My mother and father are using ichat av - the beta version. I am using 10.3 - so the full version.

I thought that the beta might be causing the problems, so I was going to recommend that my mom download the normal version over the av beta. But I couldn't find the normal ichat download on the apple website.

Also, we have been having trouble connecting via audio-chat as well. I am in a university residence, so there is a fire wall up to prevent us from downloading **** via kazza/whatever. I think that might be what is preventing us from connecting. Could that be?

Help us out if you can. My parents are recent switchers. They bought macs after I bugged them for a couple years. They didn't buy me one though, can you imagine! I had to buy my own!

My mother gets a little frustrated with her ibook sometimes. It would be great if someone could help her out - keep her on the right side of the fence if you know what I mean.