my hands don't work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Feb 1, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

...at writing. how do i get better handwriting? right now mine is practically illegible, even to me. any lessons/systems/tutorials/methods/ideas/theories?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My suggestion is to write slower. When I write, my writing goes to crap. When I slow down, even just a little bit, it becomes much more legible. Also try to get into habits on how you right. Try something that makes your writing neater, and try to get into a habit of doing that everytime you write.

4. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Write all your posts out free hand, then type them out. :D

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

'member in elementary school you learned how to write on that lined paper? You can pick that up as well as handwriting books from teaching/ educational stores for pretty cheap.

That and just practice writing. There's no short cut.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

My friends ma teaches first or second grade, towards the end of high school we had an essay and the teacher said something like try and type it but if you can't I understand. I didn't like the teacher and the class was pass fail. I had gotten A's or B's on everything and the essay wasn't many points ... so I wrote a whole essay on World War I on that paper. I turned in like 25 pages, it was hilarious. The teacher even laughed well until she put a C on it. It was worth it.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This would be my advice as well- practice writing slowly and neatly. And hopefully with practice, your handwriting at a normal speed will look nicer. :)

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Get yourself a fountain pen. You'll be writing like Thomas Jefferson in no time. ;)

10. Queso macrumors G4

These days more and more of us have crappy handwriting. The muscles in our hands aren't used to the action anymore, since we tend to type things into computers rather than write things down. Build the muscles up, practice your writing for 30 minutes a day. It will hurt like hell at first, but you'll soon get used to it in a couple of weeks, then you can start improving the look of how you write various letters.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If I find old letters that I wrote back and forth through my teenaged years, I can determine roughly what year I wrote 'em just by the way specific letters are formed. :p

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

When I was a teenager, my writing was very nice. Now it's absolutely awful. I agree with Zwhaler, slow down. It's the only thing that helps me, anyway. :eek:

13. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Unless you're left handed! ;)

Relax and take your time, look at your posture and how you hold the pen.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No problem! :D

15. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

gahhhh!!! but i want the short botox/cliffs notes/prozac solution. i guess thats not gonna happen :)

i actually do have a Lamy fountain pen, but as much as i want to love to write with it, i find my cheap $1.50 Zebra Gel pen is my favorite. plus the clip fits nicely in the binding of my Moleskine.

tho maybe if i actually write better i will want to go back to the Lamy.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I <3 Moleskines. They're like dirty mistresses I have to hide. :eek:

17. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Slowing down is the only way I've found to improve my handwriting. The faster I go, the sloppier it gets. Oddly enough, I find that my cursive is more legible when I write fast than my print.

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

19. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

because handwriting does not break, does not run out of batteries, does not get viruses, does not need downloaded upgrades, does not need to get google indexed with proper keywords, does not need to be insured against manufacturers defects, has infinite resolution, infinite scaleability, infinite portability, is totally open source and works much better than a computer for on the road sketching and note taking; especially while standing up and is practically free to use.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Handwriting also shows a certain level of thoughtfulness and care.

21. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

and because i am caring and thoughtful.

and the moleskine is a perfect Starbucks Grande Vanilla Latte accessory.

in all seriousness, its because i do not use a sketchbook often enough because my handwriting is so bad, and (practically) every great designer i have ever met (and i have met a lot) almost always has a sketchbook with them, so its sort of a habit of greatness that i think will actually help me with my design process. also i am doing a huge personal project that needs to be researched and i want to have something with me at all times to write down ideas,etc..