My Hard Drive doesnt display on desktop anymore?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by zebraman, May 1, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I think i might have dismounted it or something. But it wont show up on desktop or on the finder side pane. I tried bringing it back with disk utility but no luck :mad:

2. macrumors 603

richard.mac

first things first does your hard disk show up in the Computer folder in the Finder? you can get to Computer by selecting it from Finder's Go menu or pressing "command-shift-C". then check Finder's preferences. have you unticked "Hard Disks" under Show these items on the Desktop or Show these items in the Sidebar?

if you still cant see it copy and paste this command into the Terminal to show hidden files.

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    does your hard disk show up now? replace "TRUE" with "FALSE" in the above command to hide hidden files.

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 603

richard.mac

so when you go to the Computer folder your main hard disk isnt there? even when hidden files are shown?

attach a screenshot of Disk Utility.

5. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

something simple? Did someone hide it on you? Click on desktop, hit APPLE+A, then select Clean Up from the View Menu. Silly, but worth a try. Or did they add a period to the beginning of the name?

6. thread starter macrumors member

7. macrumors 603

richard.mac

not sure sorry read thru the pages on this thread i think theres a few instructions in there that fixed a similar issue.

8. macrumors newbie

Open a Finder window. In the top left of your screen, next to the Apple, click on Finder->Preferences. Under "General", you can choose which drives and disks to display on your Desktop.

9. macrumors newbie

Hard drive not showing on desktop

Thank you so much for this answer. Helped me immediately this morning. You learn something new every day. :apple:
    V.

10. macrumors newbie

Cant find my hard drive in finder

HI I tried the command in the terminal but it still dosent show up in the finder