My Hard Drive is filling up continuously! Runs out of space for no apparant reason.

Discussion in 'OS X' started by joeriki, Apr 3, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2010
    I have an imac 1tb 24in. I run timem machine to an external drive. But something in my mac keeps filling up. I bought whatsize and over the course of 2 hours HD lost 9gb. I can hear theh drive running continuously. It sounds lime timemachine backups but even when i turn it off. The little whriling had drive sapce eater is still running. Any ideas. I spent all last week deleting stuff only to have the space filled by the greedy little prog thats killing my drive. In abiout 16 hours before i get to zero kb again. So any one know what to do short of a complete reinstall. Thanks
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2007
    It is probably a runaway log file. Open and see what is being logged. Here's one example (your specific logging issue may point to a different log file) . Once you find which log is the problem, you can look for the right solution.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2010
    Thanks, i had a look around. Disc x and

there is nothing chaning on teh Disk x display. And my private is at 55gb but static. Its not the logs, thast a few 100 mb. But what is strange is MHD shows 743.3 GB in Disk X but in get info its shows 808gb growing . so what ever it is its not showing up anywhere. its hidden. Any clues to what to can try next. I lost another 2gb since we started this :eek:
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2010
    solved Ony x

i downloadd and ran onyx and it cleared 50gb of space and not my hd used is stable. great. thanks for the pointers.