My hat's off to young people...

Discussion in 'Community' started by winwintoo, Aug 11, 2004.

1. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Last evening I took my 7 year old grandson to a local arcade so he could participate in a "Dance Dance Revolution" tournament. I wasn't sure what to expect and since there was nothing on the poster about age limits etc, I let him enter his name thinking we could always leave if it turned out to be age inappropriate.

As time went on and the crowd started to gather, I quickly realized that most of the contestants would be much older and briefly considered ways to distract Mac so we could leave.

I quickly realized that leaving was out of the question. Mac was made to feel right at home with the older crowd who cheered him on while he competed, made room for him so he could watch, stepped aside so he could compete earlier in the line-up, showed real disappointment when he didn't make the cut and included me in their discussions about technique.

The arcade was crowded. There was a cross section of ethnic and economic backgrounds; preppy kids mixed with goth chains; I even recognized some gang colors, but at no time did I feel out of place or unwelcome.

Mac loved it.

Thanks M

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's pretty cool, and glad you had a good time.

But I have to ask the obvious....your grandson is named Mac not Mack? What's it short for, dare I ask :D

D

3. iGav macrumors G3

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

An arcade (and now, I think, PS2) game where the player needs to mimic dance moves shown on the screen on a pad beneath him or her. It's actually helped some get in shape, believe it or not. Of course, that's just wrong... video games aren't supposed to be a healthy thing. ;)

http://www.ddrfreak.com/aboutddr.php

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You mean to say you don't know!? :eek:

:p :D :confused:

6. iGav macrumors G3

If I was a 13 year old girl I probably would've... :eek: :p :p

7. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

His name is Mackenzie but he's always signed his name "Mac" - kid knows a good thing when he sees it :D :D

DDR is a full body workout - you have to watch the screen, figure out what the arrows mean, and get your feet to move that way. Those kids are in good shape!

m

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's easier to just look at your avatar - that's DDR he's playing, right? ;)

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just nuts! Never played it myself, I think I'd be afraid to look like a total idiot on the thing :D

I'm more of a traditional arcade gamer - I was around for the first consoles (space invaders/donkey kong/pac man).

D

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Hah you know it does bear a resemblance to DDR though I don't believe they had arcades back in the 20's.

12. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

The difference with DDR is that your body is getting a workout as well as your mind and right thumb!! It must develop really got eye/mind/body coordination and balance. As the beat speeds up, you would have to be pretty stable to stay upright - the usual feeling of being a better dancer after a few hits wouldn't apply here.

They have DDR machines in the lobbies of all the movie theaters here and there is always a crowd watching - and I've never seen anyone that looked like an idiot - course I've never gotten on the thing I'll let you know how that turns out :D :D

m

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ahhhh... reminds me of the old nintendo pad thing... once those video game machines moved beyond two buttons, it got too confusing... back to books and exercise... :rolleyes:

14. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

......and if the book pages would turn themselves, I would cut out the exercise too ;)

m

15. dethl macrumors regular

My addiction :p

I'm totally addicted to this game. I've been playing for a little over 3, yes 3, years. It's great exercise, and helped me avoid the "freshmen 15" (in fact, I lost a little weight my first semester) at college. I've been able to get crowds around me, and shock lots of people with fast moving songs and whatnot.

If most of you guys haven't heard of DDR, just wait until you see something like Pump-it-Up, where there are 5 arrows, but the main ones are diagonal, and there is one on the center. There are also other musical games like Keyboard Mania, Dance Maniax,Para Para Dancing, the list just goes on and on and on, kinda like the energizer bunny.

16. iGav macrumors G3

reminds me of 'Simon' on a bigger scale. :D :p

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Believe it or not, when we see people doing DDR in the local movie-lobby arcades, or hanging around near the machine waiting for their next try, it's usually teenage guys. Man, some of those kids move fast. :eek: No doubt it's a product of their highly-developed videogaming reflexes. :p

18. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I got addicted to DDR when I found a free machine on a trip to Florida. When I got home, I found the closest DDR machine to me is about a 40 minute drive. I wound up buying a PS2 and an ignition pad so I could play at home. Now, I'm moving down to florida where it'll be a ten minute drive to the nearest arcade (I've looked into it :rolleyes: ). I'm gonna score soooo many babes whit my phat movements.

19. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've seen people play DDR a few times, and they were all tré serious about it -- full body stretches beforehand, some pregame pysch-out staring/posturing, extra spins and kicks thrown in for crowd-love, the whole deal... i'll admit, i was impressed. but my question is: when/where are these people practicing their moves? i mean, you can't just jump on one of these things and expect to be good at it right away; how come i've never seen anyone get up and make a total ass of themselves? where are all the amateurs?

20. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Thats pretty much all it is.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

young people rarely demonstrate the level of maturity and reponsibility as they did with your son, Mac, I'm afraid.

As a 17 year old, I'm afraid to say that most of my peers would not hesitate to make fun of or harass a person younger than them. I guess you were with a more mature group of youngsters.

Not that I want to bring a bunch of negativity to this thread - just a bit of reality, I guess. I'm glad your son had fun though. :)

scem0

22. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I disagree. At places like skateparks, and other places where there is a common bond (cough**macrumors** cough) there is a level of maturity brought about by their shared interest. I've seen younger kids hang out with their elders at the skatepark, and they are treated like equals. Younger people are more likely to be disrespected in places that they are acting immature or are just getting in the way. Nobody is going to disrespect someone who is a better dancer than them, just because they are ten years younger.