My HD Just Filled Up!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scorpio8977, Oct 24, 2006.

1. scorpio8977 macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

I own an 80gb MacBook Pro (2Ghz Intel Dual Core), running it with 2Gb Ram and an 500gb External drive which I added 2 days ago, and promptly emptied my hard drive of all photo's music etc and deleted all libraries (iphoto, itunes etc).

I tried to transfer some shots taken tonight into iphoto, whereupon it told me i needed to refresh my thumbnails, which it started to do, then hung because it came across some modified files and didn't like them. Instead of skipping past them, the whole laptop hung, nothing was working and I was forced to hold down the power button to get it to turn off.

The next 2 hours was filled with me trying to get past my password entry screen, eventually letting it shutdown fully (1hr) which obviously reset the issue which was stopping me logging in. The dock was reset to standard, no shortcuts to anything I normally have, and the HD was full. Before, I had about 36gb free, but now it's full, to the brim, zero gb available.

Any suggestions most welcome before I take it back to the store and kick off - which being in Kuwait and being English (and their tech support sucking like a pro on a buy one get one free weekend) I'm not keen on doing.

I don't have any roll-back utilities, can't see anything obvious I can click on to get this back to how it was.

HELP!!

Kind Regards

Matt

mattpargeter@mac.com

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

If you can back up files on the external hdd , then erase and install mac osX you should be able to start with a clean slate on the laptop. Did you accidentally archive and install to fill up your drive?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to see where the space has gone.

4. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

This is entirely possible (the back up, i don't remember archiving anything, wouldn't know how to if I'm honest). I have 500gb to play with. Do I just copy and paste / drag it over?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't waste your time with a reinstall until you know that is the last resort and has to be done. It could be that something is borked and spamming your log files.

6. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

weird.

dunno why files wouldnt just be backed up

7. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

see, this is where I get lost because it's my first mac after 20yrs of PC's. I'm looking at the disk utilities but failing with anything I'm trying.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

These guys are a lot more knowledgable than I am... what the heck is borked? All I know is drag/drop important keeper files and wipe the rest will eliminate the spamming borker for good!:D It does suck if you have apps that were registered, you'll need to save the keys and re-enter them. My solution is definately LAST RESORT.:eek:

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Internet slang, corruption of broken; Completely and utterly broken. c.f. fubar

Honestly.. try WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to see where all your disk space has gone first off. Or, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in:

sudo du -h -d 1 /

Wait for a while and then copy/paste the output here.

10. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

Ok, Copied and pasted the message you posted and it asked me for a password. I have a system password but it wouldn't let me enter it, or anything else. Any other suggestions?

Last login: Wed Oct 25 00:27:46 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    You have new mail.
    matt-pargeters-computer:~ mattpargeter$ sudo du -h -d 1 /

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
    Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

11. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

ok, put my system password in and hit enter and got this....

37M /.Spotlight-V100
    0B /.Trashes
    2.0K /.vol

mean anything to anyone?

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is because of "sudo", which means [roughly] "do as super user". Nothing shows up when you type in your admin password. Just type it and press return and the command runs. Try it again.

EDIT: You didn't wait long enough.. I said it would take a long time and it will. Wait until the prompt comes back, THEN it's done.

13. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

Cheers Yellow, yeah, I figured I'd jumped the gun a little. Ok, I've got 58gb in my users? Am i reading that right? And how the hell do i delete it?

Matt

Password:
    37M /.Spotlight-V100
    0B /.Trashes
    2.0K /.vol
    5.1G /Applications
    1.5K /automount
    6.7M /bin
    0B /cores
    2.0K /dev
    9.6G /Library
    2.0K /Network
    2.1G /private
    4.5M /sbin
    1.8G /System
    58G /Users
    494M /usr
    9.5G /Volumes
    87G /
    matt-pargeters-computer:~ mattpargeter$

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes..

I would run it again, but change the trailing / to /Users or even /Users/shortusername where "shortusername" is the short user name of your account, because undoubtedly the data is all in your home directory and this will tell you where:

sudo du -h -d 1 /Users/shortusername

I'm guessing when you moved the data to the external HD and trashed the data in your home directory, that you never emptied the trash? ;)

15. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

no, that command doesn't work. I tried all perameters, first name, with and without last name, with underscores & without, everything, then without the username and just the User ending, both with and without the / after it.

I did empty the trash, and it's totally empty now, I'd wished it was something as simple as that.

Matt

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, it was a syntax error above on my part. The -s flag is no longer used in du. Old habits die hard.

Your short username is "mattpargeter".

sudo du -h -d 1 /Users/mattpargeter

17. EricChunky macrumors regular

How can a Mac being so creepy on one hand and Apple still keep making new PCvsMac advs on the other hand?

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

?? what? :confused:

19. scorpio8977 thread starter macrumors newbie

scorpio8977

Ok, that worked nicely. Found out that my user had duplicated itself 9 times so I deleted the duplicates and suddenly gained 45gb. Thanks for all your help Yellow, you get a gold star!

Matt

20. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You might now want to check you drive's file system (i.e., run fsck). See here for details.