my heart attack

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by raiderz182, Feb 7, 2004.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    yeah well here it goes, i am sitting in a bathroom stall and i have my powerbook inside my bag, hanging on the hook...
    well about 5 minutes later , the hook BREAKS out of nowhere... so my bag falls and i hear this LOUD thump and im like OH F***!!!!!!
    so for the next half a minute im just sitting there staring at my bag on the floor and i swear my heart just stopped the entire time.
    i took it out asap and checked it for damages thank god i didnt see any, i hope there aren't any internal damages....
    public toilets = death
  2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    That's so weird! I was just in a public stall with my 12" PowerBook G4 in my backpack. I hung it on a hook and thought to myself "I sure hope the hook holds!" It did, though I know one day I'm going to hang it up on a hook and it's going to fall.

I usually keep my 12PB in a padded laptop case inside of my backpack, to protect from spills.

Glad to hear your PowerBook is ok!

I'm also glad to hear you didn't actually have a heart attack.....
  3. jamall macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2003
    Canberra, Australia
    The lesson to be learnt from this is, in the interests of your PowerBook's wellbeing (and for lots of other reasons I won't go into), take a dump before you leave home in the morning!
  4. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    When I was at the apple retail store there was a guy there who wasn't so lucky when he dropprd his pb. He dropped it down about 15 steps and the screen was totaly destroied. When he plugged it into a external monitor it still booted but who wants to carry around a monitor?
  5. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    I have a way to avoid the risk of Your Powerbook falling of the Hook, DONT HANG IT ON THE HOOK
  6. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    that is an excellent question! anyone? :D
  7. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    lets assume he had to go,

hold ur powerbook!!! hehe

seriously its a good thing it wasnt damaged.
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I thought it was more normal for people to suffer aneurysms when dropping **** in the bathroom than having heart attacks.

Something about the enourmous effort involved...

And those used to be coat/umbrella hooks, not book bag hooks.

Lot of difference in the design capacity of those two products.
  10. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2002
    Re: my heart attack

or the corollary: Clamshell iBooks = death
  11. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    if i was taking a dump in a public restroom, i'd be using the book. just hang the empty bag on the hook and enjoy yourself. (of course that's assuming i had a laptop of any sort and i got out enough to ever be in the unfortunate situation where you have to go number 2 in public.)

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You'd been sitting there 5 minutes with 30 seconds left to go - I'd've hated to be in the queue outside!
  13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Glad to hear that your PB seems to be ok.

A big word of caution. You shouldn't be concerned about whether the hook will hold. You should be more concerned about someone reaching over and grabbing the bag with the PB in it.

For me i tend to wait for the handicap stalls to come available. Many of them are now "family" stalls with the changing table. Thats where I'll put my valuables.
  14. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Me? I just got a metal case for my PB. Thin enough to kit in my shoulder bag with a folder (7 sub), book, and spiral notebook (5 sub).
  15. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    A lot of those hooks have two prongs, a longer top one and a shorter bottom one. One thing I learned is that hanging your stuff on the bottom hook is safer because it is usually closer to the door, and thus exerts less tensile force on the upper mounting screw. The closer to the door the force is applied, the more the mounting screws only have to handle the shear stress which they are much better at. I never dropped my PB this way, but I have broken a hook with an excessive amount of books in my backpack before. And my PB was always in a Tom Bihn Monolith, an excellent insert for carrying your laptop in a backpack.
  16. Souljas macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
    im waiting for 'my precious' G5 powerbook to be released, so i can get it for uni, i hope nothing like that happens to me!