Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
HTC Questions

Has the capacitive button software fix been rolled out on:

1. T Mobile
2. ATT
3. Developer Edition

My biggest gripe would be the waking up the device by pressing the difficult to reach power button. Is there a way around this by using an app?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Has the capacitive button software fix been rolled out on:

1. T Mobile
2. ATT
3. Developer Edition

My biggest gripe would be the waking up the device by pressing the difficult to reach power button. Is there a way around this by using an app?

I would like to know this too. Is this fixed?

Or does flashing something like android revolution fix the capacitive buttons?

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Two things to start off with. HTC One is a Korean Company so it is Korea to the EU.

Now on to the duty calculator.

Assuming you had no trade in and 50 dollars for insurance and shipping.
Also using the point of Origin of Korea to Germany.

The duty calculator figures are:

Importing from: Korea
Importing to: Germany View country guide
The type of product, its value and where it was manufactured
Edit
Product description: HTC One
Product category: Mobile Phone (Upgrade account to get HS code)
Product value: US$574.99
Country of manufacture: Korea
The cost of shipping and insurance of importing
Edit
Shipping costs: US$25.00
Insurance costs: US$25.00
Calculation results
Edit
Total customs value: €480.80
- Duty: €0.00
- VAT: €91.35
Total import duty & taxes due: €91.35
Total landed cost: €572.15

Ok so here i have it for about 572 Euros

Now German carrier O2 is offering the 32 gigabyte HTC One at 661 Euros which equals about United States 881 dollars.

so we have about 89 Euro difference between the two.

Now that difference could be part of how input / output VAT works, exchange rates charges between the Korean Won and the Euro, or additional costs like storage or warehouse fees. Remember VAT is charge twice and the government gets the difference if my understanding is correct.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Insured shipping depends on boat size and load, not so much about price of goods. It will vary from 20 usd to 200 usd per metric ton depending on distance and goods type. In your cost breakdown, 50 usd is way too much

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Two things to start off with. HTC One is a Korean Company so it is Korea to the EU.

Now on to the duty calculator.

Assuming you had no trade in and 50 dollars for insurance and shipping.
Also using the point of Origin of Korea to Germany.

The duty calculator figures are:

Importing from: Korea
Importing to: Germany View country guide
The type of product, its value and where it was manufactured
Edit
Product description: HTC One
Product category: Mobile Phone (Upgrade account to get HS code)
Product value: US$574.99
Country of manufacture: Korea
The cost of shipping and insurance of importing
Edit
Shipping costs: US$25.00
Insurance costs: US$25.00
Calculation results
Edit
Total customs value: €480.80
- Duty: €0.00
- VAT: €91.35
Total import duty & taxes due: €91.35
Total landed cost: €572.15

Ok so here i have it for about 572 Euros

Now German carrier O2 is offering the 32 gigabyte HTC One at 661 Euros which equals about United States 881 dollars.

so we have about 89 Euro difference between the two.

Now that difference could be part of how input / output VAT works, exchange rates charges between the Korean Won and the Euro, or additional costs like storage or warehouse fees. Remember VAT is charge twice and the government gets the difference if my understanding is correct.

Hope this helps a little bit.

I am amazed no one caught this yet.

Htc is from Taiwan. Not Korea. Samsung and LG are from Korea.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Just switched from the iPhone 4, and had the HTC One for almost a week now. I still love the iPhone and Apple, but dreading that their next update probably won't be anything revolutionary, I desperately needed something fresh after 2+ years, and iPhone 5 wasn't it. It wasn't going to be Samsung's S4 either because I want to support the underdog (I like Apple too much and didn't like Samsung's anti-Apple campaign haha). So I figured, by the time my contract is up with the HTC One in 2-3 years, perhaps I'll consider switching back to iPhone if by that time, everything feels fresh again.

Naturally, there were a lot of things I compared it to the iPhone with, and there are a few very small details that I miss on the iPhone, like:
- tapping the top bar to scroll to the top (useful when browsing Facebook or Twitter for a long time)
- having a button at the front to wake the phone up
- how the display wakes up when you receive a notification (I downloaded an app called SMS Wakeup to solve that...but only for text messages)
- how when you send a text, you can immediately type another text message (vs. having to tap the text box again on the HTC One)

All that aside, there are a lot of things I love about the phone, but I'm sure they've been beat to death from previous posts. But if you were to ask anyway, it was the build quality and feel that really sold me. The great speakers are a bonus (I'm not too picky on sound quality, and when I am, I'm wearing headphones). I don't need removable batteries (I'm fortunate to charge during work), external storage (32GB is plenty for me), or a 13 MP camera (I'm usually just posting camera pics on facebook).

For such a great phone, I really hope the HTC One doesn't end up unnoticed in the long run, only to be overshadowed by Apple and Samsung's overwhelming popularity...

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
I respect your opinion, but funny enough, my order would go exactly opposite that.

Android > iOS > WP8

To each their own.

Don't get me wrong, Android is an excellent platform. For me, it was about having a phone that was simple to use and intuiative, in terms of customising the phone and apps available etc.. android blows windows out of the park.

But I had to be honest with myself and get something that was easy to use as well as being fun & awesome, fluent live tiles & an incredibly simple and quick interface. For me, the HTC one was a great device, just not a great phone! Best looking phone hands down, best media consumption device etc.. just for a phone the android platform doesn't offer me an easy to use platform, I prefer windows OS. iOS is a little better than android.

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
Don't get me wrong, Android is an excellent platform. For me, it was about having a phone that was simple to use and intuiative, in terms of customising the phone and apps available etc.. android blows windows out of the park.

But I had to be honest with myself and get something that was easy to use as well as being fun & awesome, fluent live tiles & an incredibly simple and quick interface. For me, the HTC one was a great device, just not a great phone! Best looking phone hands down, best media consumption device etc.. just for a phone the android platform doesn't offer me an easy to use platform, I prefer windows OS. iOS is a little better than android.

im aways baffled when i read this, but what is hard to use or do with android? i cannot think of a single thing thats hard to do on the platform, but can think of several that are a pain to do on ios and windows phone. :)

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
im aways baffled when i read this, but what is hard to use or do with android? i cannot think of a single thing thats hard to do on the platform, but can think of several that are a pain to do on ios and windows phone. :)

It's not that it's difficult that's probably the wrong choice of word. I don't find anything on a phone " difficult " I'm quite good with most tech, and am familiar with most mobile platforms - Android, iOS and now Windows Phone.

I think that android struggles to be as fluent and easy to use. You may not be able to understand this, if you work in a certain job. For me, it's because of the tasks I want my phone to perform. Don't worry I'm not bagging android, it's an excellent platform. As a phone I'll take windows.

Reason being, I use my mobile device at work on site, when I want to use my phone it's got a large phone button, and a large text button, the settings are all organised, neat & tidy and the tiles look great and are just easy to swipe through, I don't particularly enjoy the app drawer organisation of android.

I suppose this is possible to do with any phone, but after actually experiencing windows on a mobile device, I have to said I enjoy using the tiles more than the app drawer. This would be a pain for someone who uses their mobile for heaps of media consumption, apps etc. me I use my device more for emails, phonecalls above all else, texting & simple things like xbox & nokia Music... navigation, this phone makes it incredibly easy while maintaing a fluent & simple organised interface.

I'm not biased, I owned and returned the HTC one, played around with the Gs4, the iphone 5, note two.... I've done and used every mobile operating system and had the chance to enjoy each one. Windows is best for me :)

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago. I did so primarily because I was bored with my iPhone and wanted to see what Android was all about. For whatever its worth, here's my take. Mind you, some of my observations have little to do with the HTC One and/or Sense UI; they are specific to Android OS phones in general.

Also, I should preface myself by saying that I am not trolling. Feel free to read through one of my many posts throughout the years I've been on this site. I have a 15" Retina Display MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV. I have also owned every model of iPhone since standing in line for the better part of a day when they were first released. I am essentially an Apple guy.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at with this HTC One.....

Strengths:

- Outstanding build. I love the look and feel of the HTC One. Dare I say it looks
like something Apple may have built? One of the problems I've had with Android phones is the build quality. I'm not down with the plastic on the S4 and the glittery black on the back of the Nexus 4. Stuff like this make a phone look cheap IMO.

- 4.7" display. .....most of the time. When I'm not driving, I love the 4.7" display. The extra real estate makes using this phone more enjoyable. That said, there are those times when I'm driving around that I wish I had a 4' display. :) I'm wondering what this phone would be like at 4.5"?

- Speakers rock! The dual speakers on the One are arguably the best speakers on any phone available.

- BlinkFeed. Love it. Love it. Love it. I am coming to find that BlinkFeed is either a love or hate relationship but include me in the "love it" camp. What can I say. I'm a news junkie and BlinkFeed is like heroin. "Nuff said. For those of you that don't like it, I can foresee an update from HTC that provides the ability to disable it.

- Lock Screen. I like the option of having different types of lock screens (wallpaper, productivity, photos, music or none). I also like being able to pull down my notifications menu from the lock screen.

- Home screen. BlinkFeed, time and weather. Perfect. Simply perfect. By the way, the weather app is cool and seems to be pretty darn accurate.

- Notifications. I'm sure that part of this has to do with the larger display but notifications are clearly displayed and the ability to swipe individual notifications off the screen is a nice feature.

- Customization. This is a really broad topic but Android devices are *obviously* much more customizable. From live wallpapers to widgets, you can make your phone truly *your* phone. My current setup is as follows. Screen 1 is obviously Blink Fee. Screen 2 has a calendar widget and various toggle widgets including Brightness, Wi-Fi, Hotspot and Sync All. Screen 3 has sticky note widgets. That's it. That's my setup. Where are the app icons? Read the next item. By the way. Don't like my setup? No problem. Create your own. That's part of the beauty of Android OS. .....and no. Moving an app icon from one screen to another on your iPhone is not customization.

- App drawer. One of my biggest complaints about iOS is that when you download an app, the icon for said app will populate to one of your screens. There is no way around this. Sure, you can put 'em in folders or whatever but the reality is that they are still there. The problem with this is that my iPhone is littered with app icons. Three pages of app icons. Yucky. Messy. Cluttered. On my One, I simply depress the center app drawer icon on my dock and there they are all in glorious alphabetical order. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Furthermore, I can choose "Hide Apps" from within settings and have seldom used apps not even show up in the app drawer. This app drawer thing is *huge* for me as I am an organizational freak.

Weaknesses:

- No universal search feature. You can't blame this on Android devices 'cause Apple has a patent on it so they are between a rock and a hard place but I do miss this feature.

- Google Play. Don't get me wrong, Google Play gets the job done. It really does. That said, after using it for a couple weeks you see the advantage of having apps pass a stringent approval process. A lot of the apps in Google Play are utter crap and should be pulled immediately. Not to mention those apps that do nothing more than litter your notification center with ads.

- Camera. I think HTC could have knocked this ball out of the park if they had included a better camera. It's simply not up to par with the iPhone camera. Furthermore, good luck texting or emailing one of those HD videos you take. Can't be done because the file size is too big. IMO this is the One's weakest link. If there is any redeeming quality, it is the Zoe. The way the One takes your stills and Zoe's and puts them into an event that automatically produces a 30 second video complete with sound and effects is awesome.

That's all I can think of for now. The bottom line for me is that the pluses outweigh the minuses so for now I'm sticking with the HTC One.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago..........

Congrats and great reading your thoughts. Certainly agree with you on the Camera. I think if we'd got an 8-13mp camera it would have been cherry on top of the otherwise great cake.

But hey-ho they have to give us something to want in the HTC One2 ;) :p :D

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I think if we'd got an 8-13mp camera it would have been cherry on top of the otherwise great cake.

But hey-ho they have to give us something to want in the HTC One2
Couldn't agree with you more!

@daveathal: Thanks, buddy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.