My iBook always saves my life

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by leekohler, Aug 8, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok- just another disaster averted!

I work for the Chicago Underground Film Festival doing all concept, design, graphics and advertising (yes, I know it sounds like a lot for one person, but it's doable-barely:)). Today, on my way home from my day job, I realized I had sent out an ad for the fest minus sponsor logos! PANIC- the deadline was hours past. Being on public transportation, I opened up my iBook and fixed the file. The bus stopped by Wrigley Field (Cubs game going on, traffic jammed) long enough for me to find a Wi-Fi signal and send it. I'll find out tomorrow if it was in time, but I think I made it. Regardless, I called the festival director and he said it was probably OK if the logos weren't there as we're running a bigger ad with the same magazine later. But still, I feel better. Anybody else have a story like this? How has your 'Book saved you from doom?

2. persianpunisher macrumors regular

I have a similar story but not an iBook- an iPod. So i had a paper do at the end of the day, and leave it to me to print it 30 minutes before class. I went to the library and popped in my Floppy Disk. To my horror, the disk was corrupted- i couldnt print my essay which was worth 20% of my grade, enough to bring it down a whole letter grade. So i panicked, thinking if I could drive fast enough to make it home and back in time. Being as I live 30 minutes away, that was out of the question. Suddenly, i remembered- I backed up on my ipod the night before. I ran to the Multimedia room to borrow a firewire cable, and plugged in my iPod into the Lab's G4 Dual. They drive mounted and I printed my paper. Interestingly, I could listen to all my tunes on my iPod, as I had tried mounting a windows iPod onto a mac, which erased all of my music. Apple saved the day

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Cool!

But- isn't there anyone else? I thought I'd get some really good stories. :(

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hasn't really saved my life yet, but helped my girlfriend big time.

We went on vacation for a week away from all computers, and she had to take a test for an online summer course. Well, the iBook saved the day!

(Kinda..she used it for a little bit, then just took the test at a Library we found lol)

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, I kind of have a story. I was typing a big statistics paper worth a large chunk of my grade the night before (or technically the morning) it was due :rolleyes: . It was probably about 2am or so. To my horror, I realized I forgot to put in an annotated diagram from my graphing calculator (a requirement for the project). After a few hundred expletives, I dug out my calculator and plugged it into the Windows laptop I was using, waited for it to load, raced to the TI website and downloaded the software. However, Windows of course didn't have the proper drivers! Trying to troubleshoot now was not an option, I still had a lot left to write. So, I ran downstairs to the mac mini, plugged the the calculator into one of the ports on the keyboard, and presto, I inserted the image I needed into my word file in about 10 min. With that, I finished writing the paper on the *Mac* and managed to pull off an A-. ;)

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Very cool! Now that's what I'm talking about! Anybody else? :) BTW- I found out today I missed the deadline, but all was forgiven by the sponsors and the festival. They were like "just put in in next week's ad." Whew.

7. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

i am currently still dieing on my pc.... :eek: .........but i plan on getting my life saved at the end of sept when i have saved enough money for my first mac...a 14" iBook :)

8. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Interesting. Your Mac saved your life, but Janie Porche's Mac only saved Christmas. Hmm... you should have been in the commercial :D

9. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    Mine mac saved my life too. I was eating steak and suddendly started choking. I would have died , but fortunately my pmac was there to give me the heimlich maneuver. yeah!!! :D

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh man.. I need a PowerMac! They can do ANYTHING!

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've rescued a USB flash drive before. My friend's Windows PC couldn't read it. But I could repair the FAT16 file structure in Disk Utility long enough to pull the data off of it.

:D

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

What saved my life is switching.

Well not "saving it" but it just works and you don't need to invest hundreds if not thousands of dollars of just protection software.

I don't have that kind of money, and I feel like that if I had bought a PC, since i would not have enough money to pay for the software, people could get into my PC and get credit card info and private information.

Macs don't work that way.

THANK GOD

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Amen to that! :)