My iBook and the Coke Accident.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ILoveiBooks, Feb 4, 2006.

1. ILoveiBooks macrumors member

Hi All,
    So tonight, I had a good 'ol half-glass of coke (Actually it was pepsi). So in my excitement of talking with my good friend after a funny joke, I knocked the glass over right on top of my iBook. It's pretty depressing. Now I mopped it up pretty well. I shut it off, took out the battery, let it dry for a few minutes. I just want to make sure it'll be ok, I'm sure this happens quite often. Also, a few of the keys on my keyboard are sticky underneath now, (like they don't respond well) what do you suggest I do? If I have to get it fixed, it's not covered under my warranty right?

Any input would be majorly helpful. Thanks!

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Wait, the 'Book works now, right? Just bsides the keyboard? Take a high-quality picture of your keyboard so you can refer back to it when you put the keys back on, and CAREFULLY pry each key off and wash the keys and the keyboard underneath. Don't loose any little plastic or metal pieces! Then just use the pic to pop all the keys back on. All should be well.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't put the battery back in (or turn it on) for the next 24 hours. Let it completely dry out.

If you're very careful, use a small amount of water (or a thin cloth with water on it) to clean up some of the stickiness. Would it have seeped into the case?

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sounds like my iBook and beer accident :eek:

Let it dry for a few days before powering it up.

Remove keyboard to:
    1. Help the iBook to dry out
    2. Inspect for leakages inside the iBook.

You can remove the keyboard and clean it with distilled water, but I'm not sure if you can unplug it easily. Chances are no liquid got past the keyboard as you acted quickly. My beer drenched iBook is still working 4 years after the accident :cool:

5. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Well this sucks 'cause I've been using it for two hours since it happened...

I hope nothing got into the case, but right now it's working fine...

It wasn't too much, and I got it off pretty quickly.

Now i'm scared.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Play it safe. Unplug everything, take the battery out and leave it for 24 hours. You don't want it short-circuiting. :eek:

7. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Ok, As Soon as I get a reply to this, i'll power it down:

Does this happen often? I mean, it'll be fine right?

And also, If I want, I can get the keyboard replaced right?

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just turn it off, remove the keyboard and clean it. In the meantime go put the rest somewhere warm to dry through, an airing cupboard or something. By the time you've taken every key off, cleaned it and put it back the rest should be completely dried out!

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yes, just turn the damn thing off already! :eek: :p :p

10. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Umm... yes.. just take great detail in how the metal pin and plastic clicks go together. I pryed the space bar off our pismo to get dust out and it took me almost 30 minutes to click it back on properly. The other keys are much easier though.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I had a similar incident and begged for help here. Here's the thread.

Everything's working fine now, but the isopropyl alcohol is definitely the key.

Good luck!

12. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Ok, So I took the keyboard out of my iBook and fortunately nothing got passed the keys except for a little on the edges. So I cleaned it all up and it's no longer sticky except for a few keys which I will later take off and clean. But I have a bigger problem now...my trackpad button (the big clicker thingy) it's almsot stuck solid. Like it's really sticky underneath, what do you suggest I do? Can I take it off? Becuase I'm going to have to do it fast.

Please reply ASAP

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Removing the trackpad requires taking the whole iBook to pieces. You have 2 options:

1. Take the iBook to pieces (I can provide links to guides). Approx. 3 hours work. Risks involved.
    2. Use a USB mouse.

Sorry. :eek:

14. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Well that's not too much fun.

I already do use a USB Mouse (Mighty Mouse!) But I don't really want to take a mouse everywhere I go. Can I send it into Apple to have it repaired? Or is it just kaput? I'll try to keep using it but I mean, it's almost stuck solid, and that's upsetting me. My iBook is only 3 1/2 months old.

15. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

It's just the coke sticking the button. No, it's probably not kaput, and yes, Apple can repair it (at a cost).

If you feel the courrage you can dismantle it and clean it. The warranty is unfortunatly already void so that's one less thing to worry about...

Again, sorry :(

16. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Ok well thanks for all your help guys. I'll probably call up Apple sometime this week because I can't really live without my trackpad, for now I'll use the mouse. But one last thing, How do you pop the keys off the keyboard with out breaking them?

Thanks again.

17. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Gently ;)

18. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Just use your touchpad as the clicker. I never use the actual button, it's much easier just to tap on the touchpad.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, give it time. The trackpad's stickiness will get a little better over the course of the week. :)

20. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Ok well, my keys are still sticky so I'll try *gently* prying them off. Although, I'm kinda paranoid. But like you said the trackpad will loosen up, do you think the keys will loosen up too?

Thanks again to all you guys that kept replying :eek:

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The stickiness of the trackpad and the keys should lessen over a week but still do your best at cleaning it now to help minimise it. :)

22. ILoveiBooks thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I know this is like the Neverending Story, but I just need one last piece of info from you guys.

I turned my iBook back on after it was off for i think about 36 hours to see if everthing is well.

Everything is not well...

1: My trackpad is kaput. Like I thought it would be, I can't even control the cursor let alone click anything.

2: My keyboard is still quite sticky and I figure if I'm going to send it in anyway, they'll replace the keyboard, so I'm not going to waste time taking every key off and cleaning it.

So I suppose i'm going to proceed and call Apple, get it repaired. Will this be unbelivably enpensive?

Thanks AGAIN for sticking in there with me guys. You've been such a great help.

(PS: I promise this will probably be my last post.)

23. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sorry, that really sucks. :eek: :eek:

I guess it might be a bit expensive, as in "Huuh, didn't expect a keyboard and trackpad to be quite that expensive." But I have no idea what kind of a figure we're talking here. Expect the worse, you can only be happily surprised that way ;)