My iBook beeped at me!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Feb 28, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

No, before you ask, it wasn't any alert sound I've ever heard, and it wasn't a program sound. Even given that, it wouldn't worry me, except that it didn't come from either of the speakers; as far as I could tell it came from about under the Caps Lock key. The most similar sound I've heard was on an LC after I upgraded the RAM - I booted up and got a sound like this one. Turned out I had put the RAM in the wrong slot. This time though, I wasn't booting up, I was just reading another thread on MR, and iChatting. The only other time I've heard something like this was when installing a firmware update, but that's a lower tone, at least on an iMac and a G4.

Any ideas? Is it in need of repair?

2. vniow macrumors G4

My clamshell does that too occasionlly, although it's the CD-ROM, not under the Caps lock key, maybe they're related somehow?

3. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I know my Dual 867 sometimes makes a beep, followed by some loud HD clicks that are very audibble. Ithey have no obvious cause.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

do all of you beepers have airport cards?

there used to be some orinoco cards that beeped a lot, it confused some people... i thought they were only the PCMCIA/PCI adaptor cards that did it (this was when you could only get PCMCIA cards)...

pnw

5. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

I've got an AirPort card, and I have been beeped at.

6. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Yeah, I heard that too when I had a clamshell. That's the drive beeping. It happened on mine when it was trying to read a scratched CD more often than not. My family's iMac, my dad's iBook, and my iBook do the same, only much, much quieter.

7. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Yeah, I have Airport. And I think.. *pops keyboard...* yep, right under the Caps Lock key. Whew, I think. Any idea why it happens?

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

thats weird, why would they put a speaker in an airport card?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

well i can't verify the CD-ROM drive thing, but obviously the airport card isn't the only cause of it. on the old cards i used, the card would beep (or chirp sometimes) to indicate power on, network found, or malfunction.

generally when they make sounds like this, they use a small tone generator or oscillator (which is, i think, what makes the iPod click)... useful in diagnosing hardware issues.

pnw

10. Tyler Durden macrumors newbie

For the past few months, my g4 400 agp has been making a beep-beep sound as well. In my case, it usually happens during bootup. The odd time it happens when waking up from sleep. I thought it might have something to do with the IDE bus controller, or one of my actual internal drives. Following the beeps, (which often occur every 20 secs until the system seems to kick into gear) is an aggressive disk spinup sound. I've spoken to several techs from various local mac stores and no one has a clue.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

boot in verbose mode and see what loads during the beeps, or when the first been occurs. hold down command-V as you start up. i would actually recommend this for everyone that hears beeps...

pnw

12. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

NO WAY :D

that is such a cool fact. i would of NEVER of known that. thanks.

*no sarcasm used in this reply*

13. Tyler Durden macrumors newbie

14. shakespeare macrumors 6502

I was beeped at today! I'm on a PowerBook G4 400, and I was working in Photoshop when it happened. I had no idea what you were talking about, but then it happened to me.

I don't have AirPort, and nothing extraordinary was going on when it happened. It's very odd.

15. frescies macrumors regular

My iMac beeps

My g4 imac beeps every time it wakes up. A very low tone (low in both pitch and volume). I think it is completely normal though because it happens whenever my computer wakes up and right when I turn the computer on (I think it's the optical drive coming to life).

Sounds a bit like a:

*ooooooeeep

no strange activity associated with it.
    no airport

16. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It just did it again. It might be that the card is getting hot; it's only happened when the fan was on.

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this is weird, i saw this thread but never read it and then today as a i was surfinf I got the beep under the caps lock. I'm still quite curious as to why, i have an airport card and i use it all the time so I'm not sure that it means malfunction..