My iBook beeps!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cygni, Aug 29, 2006.

1. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

Not always, but twice in the last week it has produced a short tone (beep) -- when I'm not even using it. Worse than that, each time I have called apple support I get a "bad fetch error", any ideas what it could be... while I'm finally on hold?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say not using it, is it... asleep, off, or on but idle? What programs are running? Is the sound it makes the sound you have set as the system beep or a different sound?

3. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

The sound is similar to the old sound beepers use to make, but shorter. I've only been around to notice the beeping twice, but it happens when the display is sleeping and the computer still running.

It is not a system sound, meaning basso, frog, ping, etc.
    A web browser was running once (on a web site w/o extras), and apple mail program the other.

I'm puzzled and so apparently is applecare, as they offered no solutions. :(

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Strangeness.... Without any more to go on, only the basics:

- Repair permissions and verify/repair the disk (probably has nothing to do with it, but why not? :p )

- Reset all firmware -- NVRAM, PRAM, PMU, etc. There are guides if you click on the Guides tab in MacRumors. This might be a good candidate.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or it could be the drive dying.

6. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

thanks, i did everything except rest firmware, pmu... it was suggested that I archive and install. If it happens again, leave at the apple store for a few days so they can reproduce it. Definitely not the kind of apple help I expected for my $1600...

but, thank you for your's!:)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it's a beep like a pager beeps, probably not, right? Does that really make things beep? If it's a sound like a clicking or like a marble being dropped on a hard floor... then very possible.

One thing to do is go to Disk Utility and make sure SMART status is verified (click on the disk in the left and then it will say at the bottom). This is not a guarantee though that your disk is ok.

8. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

we checked everything out with hardware test and disk utility. If you know of another way to check the drive please let me know.

9. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

I checked and "S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified"

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To be honest, it's never easy to diagnose a problem that happens on completely unpredictable and infrequent occasions.... keep that in mind to modulate your frustration with Apple. Not to mention all the people (not you) who after having them on the phone for an hour say, "Oh, yeah, it turned out it was my watch and not the iBook." ;)

11. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

oh, i'll still have high levels of frustration. what's important is that I never take it on reps and always thank them for their time... i'm good like that. :)

and thanks to you and Sun Baked for helping, I am going to back up everything now. :)