My iBook dosen´t recognize the RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by yoak, Nov 8, 2004.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I just got a new 12" ibook. After seeing Crucial beeing recomended here, I bought an extra 512 RAM from them. It arrived quickly From the States (Norway is far, far away), but after installing it my iBook dosen´t seem to understand it´s there. It says memory slot is empty.
    Is there something I haven´t done after installing, or is it just to turn it on?
    (I have taken it out and replaced it one more time, but still says slot is empty).
    Please advice :confused:

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

The same thing happened to me. I took it to my local Apple Store (which unfortunately you can't do seeing as you are in Norway), and they took it in back and put it in for me. I guess I just didn't push it in all the way. I was very hesitant to push very hard on the RAM, fearing I would break it, but I guess I didn't push hard enough. I think it's a bit tricky putting RAM in the iBooks. It's hard to tell when it's all the way in. My suggestion would be push on it harder, but perhaps you shouldn't heed this advice. I don't want to be responsible for a broken stick of RAM...

3. cube macrumors G4

Breaking a DIMM is not a big deal. The real danger is breaking the slots.

4. erickg macrumors 6502

Re: My iBook doesn't recognize the RAM

Same problem with my ibook... got it today. After installing the RAM for the first time I opened it up again and found I needed to push quite a bit harder than was "comfortable" to get it in. Closed it back up and... 768 as opposed to 256. Works great. :)

E.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

This happened with my iBook a ways back.

You have to shove that sucker in real far. Don't be afraid!!!

:)

6. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Push it in hard into the slot until it clicks. If you're not sure if its in far enough, then its not. You'll know when it 'clicks' into place. I did this, exactly the same as others above have described. It was annoying when I put my iBook back together and started up and it still said slot empty, but it was nice when it came up as 768Mb the second time!

7. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for your advice guys. Since last here, I got help online from Crucial. (A nice girl called Jennie). She said the same as you guys. And it worked!!
    Anc conratulations to all of you with new ibooks, I got mine 5 days ago.
    I love it, and my girlfriend loves it (and she didn´t think she would use it much!). We have to fight over it.
    (I think this situation will make it easier to convince my girlfriend to do my planned upgrade to a G5 next year.)
    :eek: