My iBook G3 project

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Andy348, Oct 18, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Two years ago I was dying to get into the Mac world so I dipped my toe in with an iBook G3, bought off of eBay. I did absolutely no research on it prior to purchase, which was stupid, but it arrived and I loved my Mac. My sister became very jealous and decided to get the same $300 model. After around 4 months of her using hers it died. Being the wonderful brother I am :)p) I gave her mine and saved up for a new MacBook. Hers then died 3 months later.

So I've got two $300 paperweights that have been sitting in my garage forver. The specs (if I remember correctly) are:

600Mhz
    256MB RAM
    12",G3
    White, non-clamshell
    Dual USB
    Combo Drive
    20GB HD

Tomorrow I'm going to take my old one out and hopefully fix the logic board issue. I don't know if I'll be ready by tomorrow, but I've seen various ways to fix it, the easiest being put a metal piece under it. If I can take it all apart, fix the logic board issue then put it back together, my plans are:

-Clean outer casing thoroughly then spray paint Black
    -Change Apple logo color to Green
    -Max out RAM, HD, change to a superdrive
    -Load up best OS I can get my hands on

I'm very excited for this. The biggest computer related thing I've done was probably upgrading RAM in my MacBook but I've got iFixit guides and two iBooks to go around!

Wish me luck!

2. macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

good luck with that dude, lol

best OS to my knowledge that'll run is 10.4.11 ;)

3. macrumors 604

4. macrumors G4

Chundles

I've just got Tiger 10.4.11 and Word/Excel 2008 running on my 466MHz iBook G3 clamshell with a 10GB HDD and 320MB RAM so your much faster version when it's put together shouldn't have any issues.

My clamshell even plays DVDs, apparently it takes te removal of 40 screws in this thing to upgrade the HDD so that's not going to happen.

5. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Good lord!! 40 screws??? I thought the ibooks were bad...

Good luck with your project! I just finished my ibook g4 project for my gf and its rewarding when your done. :)

6. macrumors 65816

macgeek18