My iBook G4 --> To New 15'' MBP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iBunny, Jun 8, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I am currently on an 14 Inch iBook G4 1.33GHz / 768 RAM / Radeon 9200 32MB.

Its been my favorite machine for along time, just because of its portability.

How much better is this New MBP 15'' 2.4GHz C2D / 4GB Ram / 8600 256 / 160 7200rpm going to be? lol I know its a no brainer that it will be faster, but will it be "That much faster"

Also, Will I notice a difference in the Displays? I dont know the specs of the old 14inch iBook Display, or how good/bad it is. Big noticable difference?

Thanks all :D

Now only 4-6 week wait (Stupid 7200 rpm) ;)
  2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yes and Yes.
  3. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2007
    I'm almost in the same boat as you!

My Mac laptop has been a 1.42GHZ iBook G4 and I'm gonna upgrade to a new MBP in a couple weeks time.

From what I've read the new MBP runs rings around every Apple portable ever, with only the C2D MBP coming close.

We should be in for quite a treat my friend. :D
  4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    lol Well, I'm in for even more of a treat. 933 MHz iBook G4 :(
  5. keenkreations macrumors regular

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, I had a 1Ghz iBook a few years ago. I remember upgrading the RAM and the hard drive, because the 20GB was horribly small at the time. What I don't miss is the fact trying to put in a new hard drive in the iBook was a complete pain in the butt. I upgraded to a new MPB and you would notice the difference, IMMENSELY. Trust me. I used my old iBook once and I could not stand it for more than a few minutes. Just my 2 cents.
  6. mikesjo macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2005
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I'm going from a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 12" 1GB ram to the base MBP soon as well! Waiting for the school store to get them in :).
  7. kinetik macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2007
    I have an iBook G4 12" and got the santa rosa MBP on Tuesday... you'll absolutely notice a huge difference. The screen alone is worlds apart; when I first turned it on I audibly said "woah," wasn't expecting a screen that sharp/bright. The instant-brightness is a very cool thing, I always felt with the iBook that my eyes were going smudgy/foggy on me, but that was just because of the slow LCD warmup time.

And obviously going from a G4 to Intel chip opens up the world of Windows (and other OS's) to you on the same machine, allowing for consolidation if you still need to use/have a PC. Some might say this is a bad thing, but probably most of us make our living working with PCs in some form/fashion. For this reason alone, it's like getting two machines for the cost of one.

OSX in general is pretty good about giving a consistent experience between newer/older hardware, so you may not notice a huge difference in the usual stuff (email/web surfing), but anytime you need some extra horsepower (gaming, working with photos, audio/video), it'll be there for you.

Oh, and the lighted keyboard is absolutely fantastic. Its way cooler than I thought it would be. :)
  8. pdra05 macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
    Wow.. Same here.. :) I currently have the iBook G4 1.07GHz, with only 40GB of hard disk space and 768MB of RAM.. And it's a torture when it comes to intense photoshopping! I've been using the iBook almost everyday for the past 3 years so I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Waiting for my spanking new Santa Rosa MBP (2.4GHz) to arrive! I hope it does in the next fortnight. It's gonna take a little longer b/c I'm going for the glossy display. In the meanwhile I guess I'm just gonna have to sit back and be patient. The speed difference is gonna change my life completely!!! :D
  9. weeman macrumors 6502

May 6, 2007
    #9 more here... going from my iBook G4 to a 15" MBP...cant decide on the 2.2 or 2.4 though...
  10. pdra05 macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
    lol yea i know- it took me a while to decide too.. but in my opinions go for the 2.4 if u can fork out an extra few hundred bucks :apple:
  11. ischemic macrumors member

Jun 4, 2007
    Edinburgh, UK
    I'm going from a G3 iBook 700Mhz to the 2.2Ghz MBP. Think I'll notice a difference :p
  12. Rule macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    I'm waiting for my MBP 2.4 to replace my iBook 1.2
    Go :apple: