Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

My ibook headphone´s/speakers´ outlet is not working properly.

My ipod is less than six months old and the outlet is not working properly.
The problem is, that when one plugs in the headphones/speakers, one can only hear one of them.

I can take the computer to be serviced, but do they really need to open it.
Is there a way to avoid "surgery".

Thank you,

Ignacio.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Are you talking about an iBook or and iPod? Are you sure the headphone jack is plugged in all the way? Maybe one earphone is dead?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
This is a documented software problem and I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed it yet, as it can't be too complicated. Your iBook is fine, it's OS X that is messing you up. What's happening is, there's a glitch where sometimes when you plug in your headphones or computer speakers, OS X will adjust the stereo balance settings so that all the output is coming from one channel (IE you only will get sound from one speaker or one ear of your headphones). It's pretty easy to fix:

Go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu.
Choose 'Sound'
Click on the 'Output' tab
You will see that the slider next to 'Balance' is all the way to the right or the left. Move it to the exact middle and your computer sound will be back to normal.

Mind you, this does not prevent the problem from recurring, but at least you know how to fix it and it's not that hard.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you : ) !!!

Hi,

Thank you to everyone for your help. Maxterpiece, your piece of advice has saved me from sending my ibook for "surgery". I really appreaciate your help ; ) !!!

Ignacio.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
maxterpiece said:
This is a documented software problem and I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed it yet, as it can't be too complicated. Your iBook is fine, it's OS X that is messing you up. What's happening is, there's a glitch where sometimes when you plug in your headphones or computer speakers, OS X will adjust the stereo balance settings so that all the output is coming from one channel (IE you only will get sound from one speaker or one ear of your headphones). It's pretty easy to fix:

Go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu.
Choose 'Sound'
Click on the 'Output' tab
You will see that the slider next to 'Balance' is all the way to the right or the left. Move it to the exact middle and your computer sound will be back to normal.

Mind you, this does not prevent the problem from recurring, but at least you know how to fix it and it's not that hard.

Another variable that can be causing his iBook's stereo balance to shift in different directions is using the keyboard's volume adjustments. If you press those keys too quickly they shift the stereo's balance. The max volume key shifts the balance to the right and the the lower volume key shifts the sound balance to the left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.