My iBook is almost dead!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tektonnic, Jun 19, 2006.

1. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

HELP HELP!

My iBook (G3 900mhz) is busted!

Its not loading past the grey apple loading screen, i tried techtool - its just powering down after a while of disk access, tried firewire target disk - doesnt display tried disk repair - just keeps on trying to load, tried fsck - doesnt fix the permissions.

Also tried manually mounting the ibook on my powermac with:

xxx2-xxxd3-0-0-cust866:~ Tom$ mkdir /Volumes/iBook
    mkdir: /Volumes/iBook: File exists
    xxx2-xxx3-0-0-cust866:~ Tom$ mount -t hfs -r /dev/disk2s10 /Volumes/iBook
    mount_hfs: Resource busy

Any ideas? Even if its just to salvage some data..lost a sales brochure ive spent 2 weeks on!!!:eek:

2. regre7 macrumors 6502

Are you serious? I used to be a member of the "black" (read: not on any payrolls) anti-reverse engineering department for an advisor Apple once used. The solution is obvious (although unfortunate)....

I don't know how you got to the manually mounting drive part, but here's your mistake there. When you tried to manually mount the drive, you initiated a trigger in the CMOS that alerted the BIOS to a nonstandard startup, which as you know, Mac HATES. This used to be standard procedure for reverse engineering (back in the G4 days, this stopped it), which Apple definately doesn't want happening. This starts the process of a permanent lockdown, essentially making it impossible to start the machine ever again. The first thing it does is short the hard drive, which makes data retrieval quite difficult (read: expensive). Also, there is a high capacity capacitor (ha, that sounds funny) which is attached to a resistor right above pin 32 of the G4 processor. It's quite tiny, so most people (even Apple techs) usually miss it. When that CMOS trigger initiated, it started building up a charge from a separate battery contained below the logic board (so reverse engineers couldn't stop it by removing the battery). The resistor has quite a bit of resistance, I believe in the megaohms. The resistor feeds right back into the capacitor, so any energy that makes it through is fed right back in. The resistor overloads and melts, which conveniently fuses pin 32 to pin 33 in the G4 processor. These two pins are the thoroughfares for ALL mid- to high-level abilities in the G4. You're lucky it didn't spread to 31 and 34, which would have shorted the battery (31 is + from battery, 34 is ground). That would've been a mess, but at least you wouldn't have to lug the machine to a dumpster. Unfortunately, that's not all. There is an embedded ROM chip on the bottom of the logic board which has pre-kernel access to the AirPort card, and once the CMOS trigger initiates, it tries to find a wireless network and report to Apple that a reverse engineering attempt has occurred, and tries to triangulate a physical location from local cell towers (little known ability of AirPort, got knocked out in G5 though). However, this timing is poor and hard to coordinate, so your G4 might have fried before a triangulation was established and transmitted. In fact, it's pretty certain since your 31 and 34 pins didn't short your battery, that means it was fast and the resistor didn't have enough heat to spread before it solidified again.

There is no legal premise for taking action against you, but if the physical location did manage to transmit, well.... I wasn't on the "enforcement" team, but we NEVER had repeat offenders.

If you're stupid enough to believe the above in this post, expect a visit from the enforcement team en route to your location.

This is what happens when you get bored at work (I honestly have no work to do).

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Damn...that's scary. So basically he has to buy a new computer?

4. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

haha, you are funny.

5. regre7 macrumors 6502

Thank you. I've only got half an hour before I can go home.

This question has just come to mind: At what point did you start questioning whether it was a joke, and when did you know for certain.

I just realized I'm almost hijacking the thread.... first priority is helping out tektonnic. This is for when you get bored.

If it's too hijacky, feel free to delete this mods. Not that you need my permission. I'm just helping your conscience.

6. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Quite scary, but I think he is lying (if I'm interpreting the last part of the post correctly.) Plus, all of it seems a bit impossible. (especially some of the technical parts)

7. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I knew when I saw this :

and thought, apple? black! now way!

8. regre7 macrumors 6502

For clarification:

My first post in this thread (the long one) was a JOKE.

IT IS A LIE, A PARODY, AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS TRUTH.

9. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Back on topic:
    Mysterious. Have you tried booting from an OS X install disk?

If worse comes to worse, you could take out the hard-drive and put it in another computer to get the files off.

10. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

yeh tried os x disk, does nothing though, doesnt even try to run.

11. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Well, when you started talking about what it does/how it kills itself. Also, you were talking about a G4, and the OP was about a G3.

I wasn't actually certain until you admitted it, although I was pretty sure when I read the end of your post.

12. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

And you were holding down "C"?

13. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

reinstalling doesnt delete all my files does it?

14. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Not unless you choose erase and install. Choose Archive and Install. That will save all of your files to a folder on your newly installed OS X called Previous System.

15. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

c doesnt appear to do anything, can i start the cd from single user mode?

16. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Im not even gonna try to read that all;)

17. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Well if your ibook is acting up..its a perfect time to buy a brand new 2GHz macbook...:D ;)

18. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

if someone will buy my ibook for £500 i could afford one!

19. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

20. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Ok, so I've now tried Tech Tool and recovering the data - which crashed Tech Tool.

My PowerMac can kindof see the iBook, it sees the drive in Disk Utility but has grayed out the actualy iBook HD, which I presume means I could format it and it would be fine - but then i'd loose all my data, which is my last resort!

I bought it second hand so I don't own the right OS X for it and my Power Mac one obviously only works with my PowerMac.

It says it cannot repair Catalog-B, when I try to verify and repair in Disk Utility...

Ill try that Single-User stuff I guess...

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I read the first few lines and then got completely lost!

22. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

23. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

When you say you've tried manually mounting the iBook on your Powermac, have you used firewire target disk mode yet?

24. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Yeh tried that!

Disk Utility on my PowerMac sees the AAPL part but greys out the iBook HD part, so doesn't mount.

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

cmos/bios bit.