Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
just installed my ram from 256 to 1.2gb, and whewwwww is it flying. seems like its on steroids...I HIGHLY recommend those users who are in doubt....(i went from getting a PB to just uppin my ram in my ibook)....smart choice i think..

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
AJ Muni said:
just installed my ram from 256 to 1.2gb, and whewwwww is it flying. seems like its on steroids...I HIGHLY recommend those users who are in doubt....(i went from getting a PB to just uppin my ram in my ibook)....smart choice i think..

First of all, nicely done! A MUCH more economical way to a faster computer!
What applications do you use everyday that are noticably faster?
Any apps that aren't really different?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
My new iBook G4 has a 1GB on the way -- from Crucial -- they ran out! 7-10 buisness days b4 it even ships :(

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
look guys....on friday (8/5/05) i came on these boards looking for recommendation on ram, just like u guys are doing. i got convinced, and ordered 1gb from crucial. just got it today (payed extea $3.99 for shipping). i installed it, snapped right in. i turned it on and guys my apps are flying. ill give some examples, (the ones i was initially looking for)

1) they open fast!! i opened itunes, iphoto,quicktime, and safari...all were up in less than 5 seconds (i counted)

2) limewire use to take forever to open/close. now opens in 9 seconds.

3) on control+tab , i would hit Q to close apps, and they use to take a while to close (especially mail)...now they close ON THE INSTANT I HIT "Q"..just closed 8 apps, in less than 2 seconds. (cant hit Q that fast)

4) no more bouncin'.... i use to hate just watching the apps bounce on the dock waiting to open. AND...i remember the dock " stuttering " when many apps were open...no more

5) guys i HIGHLLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!! get this....i was going to sell my ibook (pre-installed 1gb of ram)...for $800...i was gonna get a pb and the total came out to $1700, so me paying an extra $900. i jus wanted a faster mac with more ram. BUT THEN I DISCOVERED MACRUMORS.COM!!! i came here and took the advice (same one im giving you) and bought the 1gb of ram. i couldnt be happier...and i saved $750!!! (900 -150 ram cost me).

if i can give any more help i will guys. i was in your shoes 3-4 days ago, and even though i did get good help, it wasnt exactly what i was lookin for... :D

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
AstrosFan said:
First of all, nicely done! A MUCH more economical way to a faster computer!
What applications do you use everyday that are noticably faster?
Any apps that aren't really different?

astrosfan, ALL the apps run faster/smoother....and quit faster.... :D

p.s. go marlins....;)

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
AJ Muni said:
astrosfan, ALL the apps run faster/smoother....and quit faster.... :D

p.s. go marlins....;)

Thanks for the answer - but just say no to the Marlins. ;)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
AJ Muni said:

How much does the Rafael Palmeiro iBook go for nowadays? :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ram is suppose to work in PBs as well right?

Mind giving me a link?

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
I increased mine from 512 to 1.5 gigs of ram.. and to be honest I can't really tell the difference....

WoW runs just as choppy...
Applications don't seem to open or run any smoother or faster
what am i suppose to be lookign at?

And the ram is recognized and seems to be running properly...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
jonomo said:
I increased mine from 512 to 1.5 gigs of ram.. and to be honest I can't really tell the difference....

WoW runs just as choppy...
Applications don't seem to open or run any smoother or faster
what am i suppose to be lookign at?

And the ram is recognized and seems to be running properly...
Now that's weird. I increased my PB from 512MB to 1.5GB, and the difference is huge. Using several apps at once, eveything goes much more smoothly.

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
768?

seems like everywhere i read RAM is either 512MB or 1GB? what's the word on 768MB RAM in a new ibook? that's what i'm planning to do in another couple weeks. i'll be working on my humanities phd, so lots of Word, online browsing (firefox), database research, with messengers and ipodding thrown in for good measure.

any other folks thinking 768?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^768MB isn't bad at all, but I'd get an extra 512MB of RAM and put that in a new iBook to get it to 1GB of RAM, total. I had 512MB in a PB that's slower than the new iBooks, and it ran okay, so a new iBook with 768MB isn't bad, but having 1GB total is better.

And individual apps won't run faster if you increase your RAM from 512MB to 1.25MB. Having more RAM will only help with multitasking (or using a single, RAM hungry app like FC or Motion or something. If you don't notice individual everyday apps being faster, then you probably don't have enough open to notice the difference.

AJ Muni said:
5) guys i HIGHLLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!! get this....i was going to sell my ibook (pre-installed 1gb of ram)...for $800...i was gonna get a pb and the total came out to $1700, so me paying an extra $900. i jus wanted a faster mac with more ram. BUT THEN I DISCOVERED MACRUMORS.COM!!! i came here and took the advice (same one im giving you) and bought the 1gb of ram. i couldnt be happier...and i saved $750!!! (900 -150 ram cost me).

if i can give any more help i will guys. i was in your shoes 3-4 days ago, and even though i did get good help, it wasnt exactly what i was lookin for... :D

Can we use your quote in a MacRumors advertising campaign? ;)

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
AJ Muni said:

Honestly, I don't know how you get by. Anything less than 1.5GB is just unusable IMO :D .

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Sometimes its surprising how much difference a mac loaded with RAM makes, especially when you load it up with over 1gv when you are used to 256 you will be shocked at the difference....

SHADOw

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
AJ Muni said:
Just closed 8 apps, in less than 2 seconds. (cant hit Q that fast)
That would be fantastic on the Apple store.

The new iBooks support up to 1.5GB of DDR SDRAM, enabling you to close as many as 8 applications in less than 2 seconds

Cool ;).

atik

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Tampere, Finland.
I am also thinking about buying more ram for my new ibook. Not just sure, should i get 512 or 1gb stick. In finland the 1gb stick is nearly twice the price of the 512, and i'm still gettinf a shuffle and ae base station this fall.

Now that i read everybody's post about everyone getting a full gig...CRAP!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
ive had 768 MB in my iMac from the day i got it (about 2 yrs ago now). Still runs fine.
I want to take one 256 stick out of my powerbook and put a 512 in it, making 768 MB. I need more for GarageBand purposes. :p

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
atik said:
I am also thinking about buying more ram for my new ibook. Not just sure, should i get 512 or 1gb stick. In finland the 1gb stick is nearly twice the price of the 512, and i'm still gettinf a shuffle and ae base station this fall.

Now that i read everybody's post about everyone getting a full gig...CRAP!
I'm not conviced that iBook really would need all the possible ram.. Sure, trying iMovie with 512ram by welding together one huge "The Ultimate Michael Jackson" from all his music videos gathered from p2p programs (12 videos to be exact, all of .mpg or .avi format) was quite a feat and required lots of cigarettes & beer. But still, IMHO, this "up the ram 'till u drop" seems a bit hysterical. Like macs wouldn't work otherwise.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Still flyin'.....

thankgod for more ram. IMO, if u only get a 512 chip, your an idiot. yea its double the price, but your going to upgrade anyway, so u might as well get 1 gb at one shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.