My iBook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HomerJSimpson, Aug 24, 2005.

1. HomerJSimpson macrumors newbie

HomerJSimpson

Gday all, i just purchased a new ibook three weeks ago and love it, but wait theres more... Since i got the ibook it has had some real problems!!!

The main problem is When im using it sometimes the screen just goes black like i have turned down the contrast completely!! (my preferences are all on never for energy etc..) and i put it to sleep to get it back...

Also now im back on my pc cause a couple of times it has just switched off completely, it did that today again and now im left with a new ibook that wont even turn on!! anyone had any of these problems??? Thanks all.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When the screen goes blank, does the little white sleep light go on at the base of the iBook (you'll notice it pretty easily). Also, are you saying that if the screen is blank, it doesn't respond to any keyboard/mouse/trackpad input?

One more thing, you realise that if you run the battery right down (4.5 hours or so) then it'll force itself to sleep and won't wake up until you plug it back into the wall and give it some charge. :)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If the screen is going black when it's unplugged, that's normal behaviour, the energy preferences for battery and non-battery use are different.

4. HomerJSimpson thread starter macrumors newbie

HomerJSimpson

Yeah, even when i have it plugged in and fully charged it does that while im using the thing.It didnt respond to any input. had to shut it down or put it to sleep, which was annoying cause it would disconnect.

I took it back to the place i got it from today and showed him, because today my ibook wasnt responding to anything hey,It was dead!!!! even with it plugged in it gave nothing, not even the trick to kick start it again worked.I have the standard 512 RAM in so it wasnt a ram issue. So now im without my sleek white friend for a while :( . Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

Also mad jew. a Q. Im an aussie also and was wondering where is the best palce to buy 1gb of ram or a 512 stick for my ibook? Ebay? cause in the stores in W.A they ask for like $400 plus for a 1gb and on crucial i can get it for 200. Any recommendations anyone???

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a tough one. I'd say the best place is probably Streetwise. They have a cool feature to make sure you get the right type too. :)

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Also worth noting is Crucial Ram, which many people in this forum love. They do international shipping as well and have very competitive prices.

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2